Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gone to the LGS nearly as much this year as in the past. It used to be a three or four trip a week deal for my wife and I. This year we probably haven't been in three or four times since the Covid started.

So I was looking at their online page, and noticed they had a Model 19-4 that must have just gone up. I knew that because it was still there. It was priced a little high, but then I haven't seen one in a while, and I didn't expect to see any for less anytime soon, so I hit the "buy it" button, and got an email a few minutes later that said it was ready for pickup.

Turned out it was a 1980, 19-4, in what appears to be unfired outside the factory condition. It is a Pennsylvania State Police 75th anniversary model. It has the "three T's." Target hammer, trigger, presentation target stocks, and a trigger stop. (does that mean it's 4T's?) As a bonus, it also had the cardboard box, all the papers, cleaning rod, mop, brush, and sight adjusting tool, still in the original unopened plastic bag.

Sorry for the poor pictures. Best I could do with a cell phone, and indoor lights.

My wife and I went up, filled out the paperwork, got told the system was acting up, so we went to get a bite to eat. On the way out, I glanced into the cabinet and noticed a SS N-frame with a 4" barrel. It was on the other side of the barrier, and I didn't want to wait in line, but it looked to be a 629. I called back and checked. No 629 in the case.

After we ate, we went home, I grabbed up a gun I didn't like near as much as I thought I would when I bought it, and took it along with me when I went to pick up the Model 19. This time I got in the line, waited a minute or so and got "inside." The SS N-frame was still there, but whoever told me they didn't have a 629 was right. It was a 624 (no dash) with a 4" barrel. 44 Special of course.

It's on layaway for now, but I may not wait.

I've always liked the 44 Special, and I have a well known almost fetish for a 4" barrel revolver. The diamond target grips don't hurt. I have no idea if they're the real thing, aftermarket, period correct, or what but they look good. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,460 Posts
Congratulations CB. Those are a couple of great snags.
I have my eye on a Model 24-3 that came into my shop yesterday. The customer is slowly working thru his dad's gun collection and this one popped up. The moment I saw it I told my boss that I want to be the first person that has a chance to buy it. I know I'm going to be paying a great deal more than he paid for it, but I should be able to get it for much less than the retail price he would be putting on it.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to have had a -3 myself, but since I've owned not one, but two, and foolishly let them slip away, I don't deserve another one (both were the scarcer 4" models too. One even had the box and papers...(do we have a headbang emogie?).

I won't be too disappointed with this one though. And it's staying put. :)

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
23,482 Posts
Congrats on scoring some great revolvers CB! I have a 19-4 Pa State Police Commemorative and it "was" in unfired condition until I got my hands on it. Enjoy them both and we will be looking forward to a range report. Thanks for the pics.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably shoot the 624 as soon as I get some ammo loaded up for it. The 19-4, will probably stay like it is. I've got a couple other 19's to shoot, so there really isn't much curiosity to see how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Nice job,CB! I’d seen the 624 , but had just purchased my second Ruger Blackhawk in a week , and funds were somewhat depleted, not to mention the distaff goodwill ! And it’s getting cooler here, so sleeping on the porch ain’t an attractive option! Hank

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Nice scores, but I'm not sure I'd stand in line just to get inside a gun store, they must be running a popular business!

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice scores, but I'm not sure I'd stand in line just to get inside a gun store, they must be running a popular business!
Well, they are a popular place and while it's always crowded, the Covid restrictions have forced them to put a theater rope around the handgun counter, and limit the number of people allowed inside. As annoying as that is, it has at least allowed them to wait on people on a first come, first served basis. Before they did that, you might stand at the counter a half hour or so until someone noticed you in the crowd. Of course the current run on anything gun/ammo related has contributed to that too. It's not as bad now, but at one time the line was about twenty people deep to get to the handgun counter. Heck, when all this Covid stuff really started, they had to limit the number of people inside the store to IIRC, 10?. They had a line outside the door, that stretched to the end of the building (it used to be a Gander Mountain store, so you get the idea).

So just going in to "look" isn't much fun. The line to the handgun counter hasn't been as long recently, but they don't have near as much to sell anyway. That's why I've taken to watching the internet sales. This was the first time I hit the "buy it" button though. When I went back and found the 624, I was surprised there wasn't a line at the handgun counter so it was walk right in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts