Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I “got-‘er-dun”. I made my own bead front sight, but it isn’t gold — the bead’s polished brass. How’d I do that you ask . . . Well, I took off the original red-ramp front sight, turned it around, trimmed off some of what’s now the front of it, drilled a hole in what’s now the back of it, tapered a piece of brass brazing rod, trimmed the rod to length, a teeny tiny droplet of red Loctite in the hole, tapped the rod into the hole — and voila!!! — instant bead front sight with a sloped front end. It looks great (if I do say so myself), the cost was reasonable (NO cost whatsoever, except my time, and I don’t pay myself anything, so it’s still NO cost), and it took just under an hour skin-to-skin (that’s “doc-talk” for start-to-finish). I did hurt my shoulder, tho’, patting myself on the back for this accomplishment. Pardon my bragging — I’m no gunsmith, but while I’ve made some mean sets of hardwood grips for my revolvers, this is the first time I’ve actually messed with any gun itself, and I’ll confess that it was abit intimidating. I’m quite calm now. I’m just sitting here in my den admiring my achievement, grinning like a skunk eating s++t.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, it happened alright. But, I’m “electronically challenged”, and I don’t know how to get a picture into our computer, and I can’t get any picture copied to the sight. That’s why I provided the detailed description – it’s the best I can do. Sorry ‘bout dat . . .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PS – It’s now the next morning, and it’s “Christmas morning” for me – I’ve been “playing” with the 686 with my new home-made brass-bead sight, and I still like it!!! Today I’ll put some clear over the brass to prevent it from tarnishing. All last evening I contemplated doing this same procedure to the 460V . . . ohhh . . . the opportunities . . . I’ve got approximately 20 pounds of this brass wire in my garage – I used to use it to inlay in rifle stocks of muzzle-loading black powder rifles, but I haven’t done that since the early ‘90's. A new purpose for all of this brass, hmmm . . . that's a lot of brass-bead sights!!!

PS – Well, I redid my brass-bead front sight. I drilled out the old one, and replaced it with a thicker piece of rod. The original one was only 1/16” in diameter. The new/current one’s 1/8” in diameter, and much easier to see. I put a piece of the 1/8” rod in my drill press, and ran it while using various files to trim down the portion that goes into the altered original sight to the 1/16” diameter, much like one would do with a lathe. Then I dressed the bead portion in the drill press, finishing the bead with 2000 grit wet/dry. It’s much larger, easier to sight-acquire, and now I’m really leaning on doing this to the “hand-cannon” (460V), but I’m going to try the 460V’s U-notch rear sight on the 686 first so see how compatible the 2 sights are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts