Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice the three gobbles!! This year mark the first ever Turkey season on Long Island in over a century. Turkeys have not been on Long Island since the late 1800’s, they were reintroduced from turkeys caught in Western Pennsylvania; The Long Island birds are descended from 75 turkeys released in the 1990s.

My sons and I went out on opening day which was this past Saturday and saw a lot of sign but no birds. Today was the second chance we had to go out. And what a day it was!! We selected a spot I knew birds like to hang out. We set out into the woods and I gave a couple of clucks on my slate. I thought I heard a bird, but my boys didn’t. So we walked a few more yards and saw fresh scratches all over the place!! YES they are here I said to my boys. I did a few more clucks on the slate and bingo a turkey clucked back! We got set up and for the next 10 minutes I was making turkey talk with a passel of birds. These birds literally came running in and before we knew it there must have been 35 turkeys 10 yards in front of us. I was so proud of my boys, they didn’t move a muscle until I gave the signal!!

So there you go, 3 birds and a wonderful day!!

Oh and by the way Newsday will be running a story on us in the paper tomorrow!! Wooo Hoooo!!!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: Gobble Gobble Gobble

Good shooting and great memories!!

kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Hunter, way to go! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the boys! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
497 Posts

Congrats on the successful hunt. If there is a link to the story, can someone post it when it comes out?

·
Registered
507 Posts

klgasilBRVO welldone
f.t.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts

Great story Dom.
Last time we were on Long Island {Fall of 2000}, it didn't look like there would be any place to hunt. We only went as far as Lake Ronkonkoma {were Barb used to live} so that is not much of a look

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks everyone, it was awesome to say the least!

Mick, there is a ton of land further east, farms, vinyards and a lot of state land. Suffolk is the first or second county in all of NY for record book deer. We have deer, quail, pheasants, turkeys, rabbits and some really awesome fresh water and salt water fishing.

Dave, I found the picture but not the story, when I do I will link it here.

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts

Congratulations on a great hunt. I can tell that everybody had a great time. kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts

That's just awesome, Dome. Congrats to you and the boys. Great pictures and I can't wait to read the story.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the story that Newsday printed, its not in the on-line edition. She had me on the phone for a half an hour and condensed the story into this article, she did make one mistake in the article, we all know turkeys scratch the ground and not trees!! LOL

My sons were really excited to see themselves in the paper and a lot of people we know read it and called us. This was one hunt we will all remember for a long time.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Well done Dom! A certain keepsake for the kids and a memory that will last for years. As far as the 'tree scratches' go, maybe the writer is used to covering Billy Joel stories :mrgreen:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Dom, thanks for posting the story. Thats a great picture for the paper. I'll bet Monday will be fun for the boys at school.

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Great story, Dom, and thanks for including the article. I bet your boys were excited to read about themselves. Your sons are two handsome young men, and you look great as well. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts