Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about another wheelgun and felt like a really nice double action .44 spl. (696) would be a nice addition to my "accumulation". Checking gunbroker I found a couple (used!)for sale.......................one was buy now for $876!!! and the other was bid starts at $995!!!! Utterly ridiculous!!! I'd almost be willing to bet that they do not sell (but there is always some fool out there so I won't bet). These prices are completely stupid. Talk about gouging! I'd love to have one but not at these *#% prices! Just my .02 cents worth!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Boy, don't I know it. I've had two and let them go because of the demand for them. I'd rather have a 24 or 624 any way. Those 696's just didn't do a thing for me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Charlie, you apparently aren't up with the times!
Those prices are not out of line with the somewhat cult following of the 44SPL especially the Model 696.
No dash ones are going for $750 to $900.
Dash ones are going for $650 to $750.
Dash twos are around $600 or below because of the Hillary Hole.
Remember they didn't make a whole lot of these and when they are gone, THEY'RE GONE!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have a 696 no dash. Before it came there was the Rossi model 720. A stainless 3" 5 shot .44 spl. I bought one when the first came out. Didn't know if it would hold up. Quit round count at 780 rounds. It's still going strong. Lots cheaper that the 696 but alas like the 696 no longer made. Forgot to mention the 720 has RR/WO adjustable sights just like the 696.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
diamonback68 said:
Charlie, you apparently aren't up with the times!
Those prices are not out of line with the somewhat cult following of the 44SPL especially the Model 696.
No dash ones are going for $750 to $900.
Dash ones are going for $650 to $750.
Dash twos are around $600 or below because of the Hillary Hole.
Remember they didn't make a whole lot of these and when they are gone, THEY'RE GONE!
I guess that's what I get for livin' out here in the sticks! Why the price difference between the no dash and the dash ones? Is it just "collector" values or is there a difference in the guns themselves? I guess I'll just have to "get over it". I still think it's way out of line for a gun that...in my opinion...has no real collector value other than it isn't being made anymore. I love the .44 Spl. but not that much (unless it was an out-of-production "old" gun). I did notice that those on gunbroker I spoke of are not moving very well. Oh well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Charlie

You will love the 696. There are the no dash, which have forged trigger and hammer. The firing pin is in the hammer as well. The dash 1 switched to MIM trigger and hammer and took the firing pin off the hammer. The dash 2 added the lock. This is a brief and I think correct, summary of the dash modifications.

Many people seek the no dash. I did. I also like a NIB handgun on occassion. I wanted to carry a 696 to and from work.

I got a stimulus check from the government a few years ago. I came to the internet and found an honest NIB 696 no dash. I paid the over eight hundred dollar price because you just don't get one NIB for less. I stimulated the seller's economy. It was not out of line at that time or now. It was pricey and some would not have done it. I am very pleased with mine. I carry it to work and qualify with it and love it. If I had not gotten the stimulus check, I might not have it. They are a great gun.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave, that cleared it up for me. I guess I'll have to just keep shoppin' around or pay the price. At least I won't be in so much sticker shock anymore. I've got some good trading material (Colt DS, 629 Mt. gun, HK P7M8, etc.) that might help whenever I find one.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Charlie
I remember turning down 696's when they came out at my local gunshop, I remember ignoring them when finding then used at gunshows. They may be the gun for some and that is ok by me.
I think they quit making them because no one was buying them. Supply and demand. Cult gun and cult gun prices. Somebody else can have them.
I saw in your short list of trading material a Colt DS and 629 Mt. Gun. You must have wanted those at one time. They made Colt DS for long enough that the reason folks want them is not collector cult mentality. They are an honest gun. 29/629 have been around for a while, not really a cult gun either.
If was you, I would put that DS in my pocket and that 629 on my hip, and know I had 2 fine examples of quality firearms.
IMHO the only thing good about a 696 is .44 Special. That round butt,K frame on steroids, with a puny barrel is a poor compromise between a real handgun and a real BUG in your pocket gun. 696 does neither well. It will run out of ammo faster also. $900 will buy you a lot of ammo for .38 and .44.
In the end, it is each to his own and we all enjoy what we want, we may not really enjoy it once we get it. Cults are strange things.
Take that DS for walk and go shoot the 629.
Bill

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments. The DS and the 629 will stay at home with me. If I get real serious about the 696 I'll just have to come up with the cash. I was lookin' for that size just between the DS and the 629 and the 696 would fit the bill very nicely.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Keep an eye out, a few months ago at the SA gun show a buddy of mine picked up a 696 and a 296 from the same person selling them both for a grand total of $900. My friend already had a 296 but the guy would not seperate them so both for $900 is like getting a 296 for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.