Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me is old Ruger Std
Couldn’t believe it. I explained I would pay him something as they go for a good penny, he gave me a firm No, he was giving it to me. He’s not a gun guy said he did not need it and for me to take it
So………. I took it 😅

After I took it home….. I had I give it a good clean up. Pretty much had to strip it down. She cleanup Nice. Bore is nice a shiny in excellent condition…….
Ready to take her to the range soon 👍

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Sleeve Grey Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
161 Posts
I picked up a standard that was made in 1952 and it works flawlessly. My only problem is that I can't find a couple more mags for it. A friend back at Little Rock that used to ride patrol with me let me fire his and he told me that the bolt comes back at you and it might take a few rounds to get used to seeing it move. They are great pistols but like people have been noting, don't bother taking them apart. Let someone who knows how do it for you. My gun store had an armorer who can clean almost any weapon. It's free if it was bought there or if not a modest fee is required but well worth it in most cases.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coincidently I just acquired this from the estate of a friend. It was dry and dirty as could be but a good cleaning with Ballistol had it shining like a new penny. I then came to find the original box and paperwork flattened under a bunch of random ammo in a cardboard box. View attachment 570570
I cleaned and shined with Ballistol as well 👍👍
Good stuff

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are really very easy to take apart and clean. As long as you remember to tip the barrel upward when reinstalling the mainspring housing all will be fine.
Yeah, I'm sorry but I have to write you off as a masochist. I use three sizes of rubber mallets, 4 screw drivers, a clamp, some wire loops, a clown wig and a fifth of whiskey when I have to clean mine. .

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Wednesday night at the gun club one of the guys brought in his MKII to shoot and mentioned that he had never taken it apart to clean due to the horror stories. I gave him a loop of string that I carry in my range bag for pulling the mainspring housing latch and taught him how to take his gun apart and re assemble it. In 20 minutes he was a pro. BTW if you google MKII hammer strut support you will find a device that makes it impossible to assemble your Ruger incorrectly. I don’t have it in any of mine but I can see the benefit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts