Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New gun issues

Most of my S&W collection have been purchased used. Have a 90's era 629 I purchased new that has been flawless. I recently acquired a new 686 Plus that seems to have several issues. I'm not sure if it needs a trip back to "mothership" or not.
If gun is empty cylinder rotates and times perfectly while empty. If you load the gun, cylinder rotates and times perfectly while loaded. Problem occurs when you fire, the cylinder wants to not rotate correctly until you rotate some by hand, not every round but on some. After the gun is empty, every thing works with empty brass in like should. Do you think this will "break in" or get worse? Another issue I see is fired cases seem to have more primer flattening than appears normal. Movement fore and aft seems normal, endshake and gap measurements seem in specification. The primer flattening seems the same with magnum and 38 special pressure loads. This does not appear to affect cylinder tie up in any way. Comments and suggestions appreciated. Seems to be extremely accurate, had a slight hitch in trigger pull at first, but that smoothed out very quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,917 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the hand and cylinder lock. Timing there is important and could be contributing to the problem. Could be a weak or incorrectly installed spring, or something internal that is hanging up the action.

If it's not reliable 100% of the time (lockup is inconsistent when firing) the factory needs to take another look at it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would send it back with a complete explanation and photos of what it is doing wrong (or not doing). You do not want to ignite a round that is not lined up with the barrel perfectly. It's certainly not right!

Good luck with it and keep us posted Jordon. And by the way, Welcome aboard from Kentucky!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I was just wondering what a "gew gun" is...
LOL .. I hadnt looked at the thread because I thought it would be something disgusting!!

To the OP .. Fishing a little here and in the end if you get a shipping label that is the best way to go but .. if you are an insatiable tinker like I am .. I wonder if the striker isnt dragging? You mentioned the flattened primers and that the gun only acts up when fired .... Were I too break open the side plate ... I would probably look at crud impacting the striker or a spring in the general area affecting the striker.

·
Registered
27,951 Posts
As the others have stated...send it back. The folks at S&W should make it right for you.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts