Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Lord Slashcat said:
That Lord Slashcat is one handsome dude.
And a brave one! kfjdrfirii

What was the recoil like? Did you shoot it any further than 5 yards? If so how was the pattern? How do you stop the over-powder card from turning around in the bore? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The recoil was like a 12 gauge high brass shell. The cards and wads are packed down tightly forming a rather ridgid colum that travels the bore as a unit. They don't separate until after they have left the muzzle. Then sometimes you can find them smoldering in the snow about 15 feet away.
I have shot this gun at longer distances like 50 feet and it paterns much like a 12 ga. does with an 18 in. barrel and no choke. Perfect for boarding a ship or clearing a hallway.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
So where's the promised "Buck and Ball" load over 105 grns? Hmmmmm? ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Whew! Looks like fun! Question: how does 90 grs FFg translate into drams for shotgun loads? Just trying to figure some kind of comparison I'm a little familiar with...

Like Drew said, that looks to be just the ticket for repelling boarders!

Many thanks for a great thread.

Bill

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So, off the top of my head and if I remember correctly, that load is into the old 10-gauge load range -- in a short, light-weight arm.

Whoo-boy, that sweetheart must kick hard on each end! I'd hate to be a boarder on the receiving end of a blast...

BTW, is there a lot of muzzle flash and blast with BP arms such as that? (For comparison, I'm thinking about the pyrotechnic display we have with a .44 mag/6-inch barrel revolver fired after dark around the campfire though not pointed at anyone round the old campfire. It's like a quick, loud 4th of july.)

Bill

PS -- I'm already considering acquiring some kind of BP arm to play around with, probably a percussion long gun. I ought to quit hanging out here; y'll are a terrible influence...!

Bill

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lord Slashcat said:
That Lord Slashcat is one handsome dude.
Slash...how come my two dogs started howling, the cat won't come out from under the couch, my Wife fainted and I think my eyes are bleeding after viewing your photo?

A good photo though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey,Giz! For our next pictorial,we should do a military flintlock musket loaded with paper cartridges. Of course,we'll have to photograph the cartridge making process as well.
Do you think anybody wants to see that?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'm always interested in muzzleloading pictorials! :)

I pretty much live in a BP/muzzleloading vacuum, so it's all educational to me...

xtm

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
A question for our Lord Slashcat, is that Blunderbuss one of those from Middlesex Village? I have been considering buying one of those, but have not decided yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oddly enough,I have owned the one from Middlesex Village with a brass barrel. It was made in India and was of fair quality with a teakwood stock. I wouldn't load it with any more than 60gr. of powder though. I didn't trust it that much. It sparked pretty well as I remember.
The one in this thread was custom made like Giz said and is of very high quality with a steel barrel and a walnut stock. I have shot heavy charges out of it wilth no ill effects.
No,I won't say how heavy a powder charge,not on the internet.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I always wondered what it would be like to shoot a grouse with a blunderbuss. I've shot them with shotguns, pistols, and rifles, but I would love to try one with a blunderbuss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts