Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So ,,,,, you buy a pile-o-part 44 mag Vaquero. Missing a cylinder base pin and the spring assembly that holds it in. Also missing the ejector rod housing and rod. The Ejector rod housing is missing because the weld broke that was used after the screw hole was stripped . Action pretty rough,,,, a un-loved , hard used gun.

Here with the base pin and spring lock replaced to check action. Plus weld and screw damage.

So , what to do ? I suppose a barrel could be swapped . Or the hole could be welded and re tapped and a ejector rod and housing located. Nah ,,, that makes just another Vaquero and I got some of those.
So , Cry Havoc and let slip the tools of Bubba.

Kind of picture heavy so a couple of posts.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
While I am talking myself into committing the unspeakable I did the internals. It got a new hand cut for cylinder free spin while loading. It got a new Super Blackhawk hammer , cuz I like 'em. Modified trigger return spring , stock hammer spring and some polish. While I was at it I removed the Billboard , instruction manual from the side of the barrel.
Cylinder mouths are amazingly uniform and a quick round of firelapping got the barrel free from tight spots. Good to go inside, feels pretty good.
Then I swapped the stainless grip frame for alloy because this sheds a lot of weight . Minor smoothing and round butting plus some Mesquite out of the firewood pile. Flat bottom grips make a better handle for me.

Dang,,,, By now I'm out of excuses . I bust out the hacksaw and lose about 1 1/2 inches. Tidy up the barrel face and cut a crown . File a dovetail for the front sight so it will have a windage adjustable sight.

So at this point it is still Gen.1.
The front sight is in waiting to shoot . It will establish it need to be taller or shorter . Eventually it will get a better looking one . Grip frame may shrink to something smaller and rounder.
Should be a fun belly gun but I doubt it will see any full house loads. It lost a lot of weight and should be nice for packing and plinking.

Probably not for everyone but hey,,,,, I didn't have one like dat.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That looks awesome!! Nice job! You used a simple file to cut the dovetail!?!?! Sweet

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
That is a mighty fine example of the right tools and skills can transform a neglected fine old gun into a new life that really looks great. Congrats on saving her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts