Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
No Garands, but I have had a few M1A's. The only M1A I currently own is a Scout with walnut stock. In fact, that along with a Gibbs "Jungle Carbine", those are the only two high power rifles I currently own.

The Garand has always been beyond my reach for one reason or another due to lack of availability (I've only played with maybe 3 in my life). That and the fact that I just don't know much about them and have always been nervous of getting into another battle rifle that's going to require a lot of parts swapping (I've run into that with M1A's).

I've often thought about getting one through the CMP, but have just never gotten around to it. I'm hoping at some point one will fall into my hands.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I admit to an Grand addiction!! I've tried to fight it but it is a difficult disease. There is just something so addictive about firing a Garand. It's probably blasphemy in this forum but I have more of those than S&W's. I think they are breeding in my safe. Every time I turn around, another one shows up. Springfields, Winnys, IHC, H&R's and even a Danish Breda are hiding out in the safe. Service grades, match rifles, rebuilds, originals, restorations!!! It's an addiction!! I just know a Beretta is going to show up sooner or later. My most accurate is a very late HRA but the Breda is pretty close in accuracy.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I agree, you can never have too many Garands. I have three: a Winchester; a Springfield and an H&R. Well...okay, three ain't too many, but I'm working' on it. For those of you who follow the various and sundry posts concerning the Peach Orchard, you know that a Garand is always handy when I'm out there. Can't be too careful down here on the border. It's the one rifle I trust more than any other.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know I'm not alone in my affliction. I have 12....so far, including a six-digit SA with a lead-dipped reciever that I built into my Match Rifle. Got it as a bare receiver from the CMP. It's a constant source of Castigation from my fellow collectors. Ser.Num. 980XXX.

My desease started ten years ago with a CAI I got cheap and it's only festered from that point.
Now, if I could only find that Gas-Trap sitting in some old Vets closet for the last forty plus years..........

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just one, a [email protected] correct grade that I ordered from the CMP last year. It is sweet. I would of ordered another Garand from them but I spent my money by ordering 3 cases of Greek hxp 30.06 ammo instead. I plan on shooting this one a bunch. Built in 1955.
If you want to learn about the M-1 Garand, the Civilan Marksmanship Program forum can answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True. There are two other excellent forums for the Garand also, The Culver Shooting Page and Battlerifles.com. The CSP is located on the Military Surplus Collectors Forum and Battlerifles is on Eotac.

Guys, a sure way to meet the 'Affiliated Club' requirement of the CMP is to join the GCA, the Garand Collectors Association. $25.00 a year and you also get a quarterly journal that's full of Data and stories.

CMP- www.odcmp.com

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm warning you!!! Don't get into Garands-they'll use up your spare money that you could spend on Smith & Wessons. You'll start out with one, then you will want another---and another---and another---etc. Then, you will want to stock up extra parts (after a couple of extra Garands, your wife will no longer believe the pretense that you're buying them for parts). Shortly after that you start trying to restore them and searching everywhere for those "correct parts". When you find it, new research will say another part is more correct and the hunt starts over. "Garanditis" is a recognized disease!!!

Seriously, Garands are a great rife and fun at the range. I've started more people getting into higher power shooting (above .22 RF) with a Garand than any other rifle. Most new shooters are surprised how accurate a Garand can be. Take one to the range to shoot and there is always someone there who will want to try it out and/or if they are older, they'll tell you a story about the one they carried. Every shooter should own at least one Garand.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic of my shooters. The one in back is my High power Match rifle, the one in the center is my John C Garand match rifle. My Inland is in the front'

·
Registered
111 Posts
DaveWW said:
Any fellow Garandoholics in here??

Dave
GCA, OGCA, NRA
I fired a friends Garand a few weeks ago, it took 3 hours to get the grin off my face. I'm not generally considered a smiley nfiofnp person
needless to say it made the list of wants. somewhere near the top nfiofnp

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To quote a good friend on another forum," There are only two kinds of people in the world, those who own a Garand and, those who wish they did."

I won't hide my addiction, I have more than I need but, less than I want.

"Hello, my name's Dave and...I'm a Garandoholic."

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine arrived 3 weeks ago. A 1954 HRA. Barrel looks new. Can I buy a cheap bore gauge? Where can I get the tool to replace the gas piston with an adjustable one?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.