Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maintain a year long battle with *****, and an occasional Fox and Bobcat, getting in to my hen house. In the last month I've trapped 7 - two adults and a litter of five youngsters. The last youngster just walked in before dark while I was in there setting my traps. The nice Spring rains must have been kind for the varmint population. I guess the snares need to be set for the Coyotes. Too early and hot to be messing with the hog population - next month, and then the fun begins.

·
Registered
21,916 Posts
Yep, remember doing that when we had small place in Arkansas.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sounds like I need to hire you for a few days. Based on trail cam pics, last year I had some of the fattest ring tailed critters in Ga. The feeders I built and put out for the deer and turkeys put most of the corn and protein pellets on the ground where anything could feast. Plan to get some out this year that utilize a tray that may help.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a live trap next to your feeder, use the same corn for the trap bait. You'll catch one or more every night.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Shot at least 6 this summer already. Not into catch and release with destructive predators, especially when they are predators of my animals.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven't seen a **** in a ****'s age. Sorry about that. Around here they seem to come in waves. You get overrun with them, get them cleared out and don't see one in a long time. Over the years I've found that you can't catch and release *****. They're too smart. Trap them once and you'll never get them in a trap again. Another thing that I learned over the years (after trapping a skunk) is to set up a game camera to find out just what you are dealing with before you set the traps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No racoons in my neck of the woods. I've been having trouble with chipmunks - so far this year captured 18 of the little critters. They were digging under my concrete patio and pulling out the stone base. Still have couple more running around to get rid of.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen a **** in a ****'s age. Sorry about that. Around here they seem to come in waves. You get overrun with them, get them cleared out and don't see one in a long time. Over the years I've found that you can't catch and release *****. They're too smart. Trap them once and you'll never get them in a trap again. Another thing that I learned over the years (after trapping a skunk) is to set up a game camera to find out just what you are dealing with before you set the traps.
Nothing quite as inspiring as trapping a skunk - especially when the trap is in confined spaces.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,870 Posts
It seems like there is the year of the racoons, the year of the opossums, the year of the skunks, and the year of the coyotes here in Northwest Oregon. I am not seeing many wild animals at all this year, so it must be the year of the coyotes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The dang Trash Pandas are over running us here in Oklahoma also. The young are being evicted this time of year by their mommas and they can be stupidly curious and are looking for anything they can eat. My dogs have been killing 3 to 4 a week at night. All the dead ones have been within 15 yards of the dogs feed tubs and horse feed bins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked my game camera that I have set up looking at the front of my hen house. I had two live traps set, and THREE ***** and a possum were helping themselves to the bait and feed, without triggering either trap. I need to do some work on the traps because the ***** were freely entering both traps with no trip. When I trap them tonight it will be ten ***** in a month. I'll leave the possum alone - he eats ticks.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
The ***** were a big problem getting into my trash can. I invested $50 in a bigger steel can , a length of chain to tie down the can , and a tarp strap for the lid. It fixed the problem. I don't like shooting the masked bandits if I can help it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts