Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how many have an opinion on a full or partial underlug? This poll is for their aesthetic look only. I realize that full underlugs affect balance, weight, recoil and such, but this is just for looks only. I also know that there are other terms for it but we're not getting technical here. That being said, which do you think looks better, and if you wanna say why, feel free.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
I prefer the short underlug. It just looks neater, and more refined because of the extra effort needed to get the profiles done. I have just 2 or 3 that have full underlugs, and I rarely get them out.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the short underlug. It just looks neater, and more refined because of the extra effort needed to get the profiles done. I have just 2 or 3 that have full underlugs, and I rarely get them out.
I agree with you on that. I just wanted to get other opinions.

·
Premium Member
13,674 Posts
It depends on the balance of the revolver in question.

Aesthetically, the partial underlug looks better in my opinion... But, when a firearm needs the forward weight for balance I would choose a full underlug.

Pics: No Underlug Model 10 S&W

Partial Underlug (Dan Wesson 15):

Full Underlug S&W 586 Pinto):

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm just wondering how many have an opinion on a full or partial underlug? This poll is for their aesthetic look only. I realize that full underlugs affect balance, weight, recoil and such, but this is just for looks only. I also know that there are other terms for it but we're not getting technical here. That being said, which do you think looks better, and if you wanna say why, feel free.

While I only have one with an underlug, I prefer it. When Smith brought out the SS L-Frame .357.....I thought it was picture of near perfection. I liked the looks, and thought that the additional weight would help stabilize the hold for better accuracy, and reduce muzzle rise for quick repeated shots. And no, I don’t own one.......so, all of the above is merely conjecture. Beauty is most certainly “in the eye of the beholder”! Many think that the Mona Lisa is a beautiful work of art......I wouldn’t want the thing in my home! memtb

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. I have a couple of fixed sight, 3" Ruger SP101s that have the lug run all the way up, but they look good. I have several 4" and longer (mainly Ruger and S&W) that have the half lug, which I prefer. IMO, and it's just my opinion, to me the full lugs look like the machining process wasn't finished, but that's just me. To each his own.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I like the enclosed ejector rod example Model 19 over the exposed ejector rod example Model 10 but I don't like the full underlug even on a 4" barrel example Model 686. I think it ruins the balance of the pistol. Even my 4" N frames draw faster and smoother than my 4" 686. Although the 686 is a strong, accurate, dependable, reliable pistol in it's own right.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm a big fan of the full underlug except for the guns that don't have that feature. Same with the MIM parts. You'll never catch me shooting a gun with MIM parts unless you're at the club when I'm shooting my newer guns. Don't get me started on the lock thing.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is really starting to go sideways. I was only asking about the aesthetics of a half or full underlug, but at least I'm learning how a lot of folks feel about MIM parts, balance, fast/slow draws, infernal locks, muzzle rise, etc., etc., etc. When I first started this I tried to make it a poll only, but somewhere along the way I hit the wrong button and it turned into a regular thread. Maybe someone can school me on how to create a poll. I thought I followed the FAQs on how to do it but I guess I screwed it up. I also tried to undo my mistake but couldn't figger that one out either. Keep those comments coming!

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
I only have a couple full underlug, so I guess I prefer short, or none. But any extra mass is helpful on the 460.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts