Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial number 23819, shipped initially in May 1960; returned to Ruger in August 1960 (reason unknown), and reshipped in April 1965. It is not "S" marked.

When I bought this FT 44, I sent for a factory letter and it came back with a shipping date of April 1965. Folks on the Ruger Forum suggested I inquire further and the ladies at the records center did a little more checking and found the additional information (that I appreciate very much).

It came with walnut grips. I put the factory stags on it ;) .

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another great gun Bill

Its funny how the records at Ruger can reveal guns with discrepancies, if you can get the girls to follow the entire path. I have had a couple gun that did the same thing.

Dan

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bill,
If you don't mind my asking, what constituted its status as a 'second', and I wonder why it wasn't 'S'-marked?
I'm currently on a 'hunt' with Ruger and the 'Records Ladies' to get the factory-rework/refinish data on one of mine.
Aside from the numerically-stamped cylinder-face, it's a mystery.
Realsitically, it the best refinish I've ever seen (in blue)...markings are too deep and crisp to look redone, but the gripframe's been redone, and the cylinder is either new or a gorgeous refinish.
My understanding is that the Ruger factory used to do some incredible reworks in the 1960's, and I'm anxious to find out more.
:?:
Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don...It is considered a second by collectors since it was returned to Ruger, reworked (?) and then resold by Ruger (at least that is the way I understand it). I don't know why it was not S marked, but per the RENE there are one or two others like it. I guess Ruger was inconsistent in their markings like S&W, but perhaps less so.

The FT44 appears to have been unfired since leaving the factory in 1965. The ladies at the records center looked for the reason the revolver was returned, but could not find anything. I bought it on Gunbroker and it was only advertised as a gun that shipped in 1960. The seller had not done any additional work to discover the second shipping date. I bought it because I like the long barreled FTs and this one is near mint and priced reasonably.

Good luck on your investigation. I think Ruger collectors are very fortunate at this point in time to have the records center and the services it provides for free.

Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice gun, Doc, as usual....as for the "non S..."maybe it was NOT refinished, nor restored ( redone),nor even a "second" (obviously...) but simply 'returned, put back in stck, lost and forgotten till later.....maybe even was "set aside" for an employee....we will never know, I ecently have seen some guns that "deserved to have been marked "as seconds" they were thata bad, in various parts, (castings..) but they too were NOT marked in any way..yessir, strange and they all have a story, just wish they could talk..... :ympray:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts