Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 625JM a while back and after two range sessions I can't say I care for the gold bead front sight. Unlike the three dot sights I have on my autos or the partridge front sight on my other S&W revolvers the gold bead reflects light at different angles and I don't get a perfect sight picture. Anyone know if the bead is actually gold or is it brass and is it inset into the blade. I'm thinking of filing it flat and level with the surface of the blade. If it's brass and I still don't like the sight picture I could use brass black on it. S&W wants $48 for the interchangeable partridge sight. Other than the bead sight I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have Weigand type sites on a number of my guns its an interchangeable system using the same Smith blade. I cannot and have never been able to use a gold bead.

I have had a few ivory beads installed on the blank blade, you could probably drill out the gold bead and fill the hole with a small piece of ivory. Most of my ivory beads are flush with the steel not raised like the gold bead.

Or check with Brownells they should carry replacement blades I am not sure how their price compares with Smith's

Len

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Len,

Thanks for the reply!
I checked Brownell's online catalog and didn't see what I needed. I'll check my catalog when we're back at our main residence. I looked at Weigand's website and have an email into them asking if their blades will fit my existing ramp. If so, that's the solution.

Thanks again,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts