Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, but here goes.
A friend of mine, nice older gentleman, has a 2" model 36. He bought it new back in 1968, and has only, according to him, fired a cylinder (5 rounds) through it. He lived in Maine at the time.
Fourteen years ago, he moved to the Syracuse NY area. It wasn't until last week when he saw me reading the SCSW3, that he mentioned he had the Chief's Special in a box in his basement.
Here in lies the problem. He has no NYS pistol Permit, and the weapon is not registered in this state, although when he bought it and posessed it in Maine, it was not an issue.
How would one go about registering this weapon? How would he sell it when there is no receipt any longer, and it is not documented on a NYS pistol license?
Love these wacky NY gunlaws!

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
First, you both should move back to Maine. Then, you could do an
in-state FTF exchange deal. :? That's all, folks! :lol: Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Man, that's sad...

Back here in Maine, were still a free state. He could just take the money and shake your hand ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
What happens to all the firearms when an elderly person passes away in rural NY? I'm referring to the thousands of small family farms that probably have a couple of .22 rifles, a pump shotgun, a deer rifle, and maybe a CF revolver and a .22 Pistol tucked away - all unregistered with the state - and none with a receipt. Happens every day in every state.

Do the relatives have to hand 'em over to some NY state bureaucrat?

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
This is a very touchy situation.... with family in New York had to deal with it myself on a couple of occasions. All I can say is what must be done is extra-legal and I sure as hell wouldn't be chatting about it on an open internet forum.

Suffice to say that they physical location of the revolver should change ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
If you do not have a pistol license in NY you can not touch a handgun. He can get a pistol license turn it in and explain what happened, but that may be cause enough to have his license revoked. It all depends on the sheriff. Long guns are not a problem, they do not require a license. If you find a handgun from a deceased relative, it can be turned in and they will check it out and if it is clean you could get it back if you have a license. Having a unregistered handgun in NY can land you in jail for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Carl I don't know why you removed your post? I thought you were right on with your reply. They are a few states that have been lost to the liberals those are the hard facts. We have to fight hard to keep them from taking over the rest. :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Man, that's sad...

Back here in Maine, were still a free state. He could just take the money and shake your hand ;)

giz
Giz,

Not if the feller were a NY resident he couldn't..... but I'm sure that's not what you meant Amigo..... ;)

BTW, off topic a little, but did you see that the Out Of State Gun Grabbers lost a major battle to make private sales illegal in Maine? This despite the emotional speach by Tom Mauser, the father of a Columbine victim..... Both of the bills to do so got the 'Should Not Pass' judgement in the Judicial Committee....

"The Legislature's Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee voted down a bill sponsored by Rep. Anna Blodgett, D-Augusta, that would have required unlicensed and private gun dealers to perform instant background checks at gun shows"

Link: http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=12356

In a rare glimmer of good sense, the Democrat House Committee Chairwoman had this to say about forcing all transfers to be done through dealers and instituting nics checks on all private sales .... "The crooks won't do it anyhow," she said. (And HELL! She's even from Portland!)....

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/n ... 00525.html

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
c pierce said:
Carl I don't know why you removed your post? I thought you were right on with your reply. They are a few states that have been lost to the liberals those are the hard facts. We have to fight hard to keep them from taking over the rest. :)
The reason why is because it wasn't fair to post it here. This member is asking a legitimate question and my statement had nothing to do with the question.

I thought long and hard before removing it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If had a relative in new york that left some guns.New york is such a small state it dont take long to drive out of it. I would load in them in trunk and drive real good so I didnt get pulled over until I was out of new york taking my chances.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
onenut58 said:
New york is such a small state it dont take long to drive out of it.
8 hrs to drive from NYC to Buffalo. 50,000 square miles of land mass. Not Texas or Alaska, but not RI either. In FACT, it ranks 27th in land mass of all States.
It does border many States, though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd take a ride, buy the revolver from him, lock it up unloaded in the trunk of your car and drive it home.
Who will know, except every person who reads this thread....

·
Registered
55 Posts
See how this scenario would play out. I agree - take the pistol out of NY and purchase it from the owner. Send it to a relative in a gun friendly state, or pay an FFL to hold it for you. Then go home and get a gun license. After you get your license, go get the pistol and register it in NY - all legal.
I feel for you in this situation. Here in FL, we don't have that issue.
RR

·
Registered
2 Posts
The easiest way is transfer it to a friendly police or duly authorized peace officer. He can C-form it and then it can be transferred to anyone with a NYS pistol permit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts