Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a revolver by an old friend of mine. He said it was is dads and that he had never shot it.

I'm not even close to an expert, but the frame appears to be a Smith and Wesson Model 10. There is a S&W trademark symbol on the right side.

But the barrel says Colt's Mfg Co. Hartfort CT, USA on top and Officer's Model Target .38 Special on the side

I can't find a serial number anywhere. Pulled the grips, not under there.

star on the butt, R73A on the front strap, 39TA under the crane.

What else do I do to figure out what I have? Where else would I find a serial number?

It can't be a Colt barrel on a S&W frame right?

Gun has a little bit of surface rust and the crane and cylinder are loose. I'm wondering if it is worth getting fixed.

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Hey Huntor,

Welcome to S&W!

That is a fine old revolver!

Shoot it well & often...

The "Smolt" was quite popular.

A good Friend made up the Colt's Official Police ('30's vintage) with a section of Ruger Rifle Barrel and a first generation Bo Mar Rib.

Not to many .22LR PPC Revolvers...LOL

Later, Mark

Attachments

· Registered
12,351 Posts
Looks like a Colt barrel on a Mod 1899 frame and cylinder with Franzite Regulation Police grips on it! Wow.
What's the S/N on the butt? (you'll need to take the grips off) If there's nothing there, it was removed. You can also look on the back of the cylinder for a number, or under the ejector star.

Mod 1899 for comparison.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.
Never would have thought they would mix the two.
No serial number under the grips that I can see.
How hard are they to work on? As in, can I trust about any gunsmith to tighten up and clean up?
NE Illinois if anyone has any recommendations.

· Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I can see the 4 digit serial number on the front strap of the grip frame in post #3. I'm trying to figure out what model would have it in that location because it is obviously a Model 1896 or 1899 action and the Reg Police didn't come out until 1917. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.