Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some say they prefer one over the other. Other than being the wrong direction to disengage the slide mounted,{that could be a problem in a high stress situation} from my 1911, I think I could get used to it. The frame mounted saftey looks a bit far forward for small handed people.
Comments?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I apologize in advance for the length of my response ................. ;)

During my Idaho P.O.S.T. training back in '94, one of the things that has really stuck with me is the chance that attacker might end up with my firearm (thankfully, none of my fellow classmates took mine away, but I did end up breaking my good friend's finger in his attempt - I sure felt bad about that. ;) ).

I was carrying a Beretta 96 at the time, but switched to a 4006 (the dept issued the 4006). Both, obviously with slide mounted decockers. I practiced enough that it was no problem hitting them. It's a bit of a reach on a Beretta, but with practice, no problem.

I find that this kind of safety - actually any manual safety, affords one perhaps a split second of time that one might need in case a baddie gets your gun. I'd rather have that than nothing at all.

I've carried Glocks off and on, but always in a retention type holster (Bianchi 82 Carrylok). Lots of folks carry their Glocks with an empty chamber. I don't, so I feel more comfortable having some sort of retention device in lieu of an empty gun. Call me crazy. ;)

I hear all about the "up vs. down" argument in regards to the 1911 vs. decocker type guns. I think there is some truth to the matter, I just don't think it's as big a deal as some make of it.

I've been shooting some sort of pistol competition since I was 14, back in '84. During that time, I have used just about everything out there. For the past 8 years or so, I have gotten much more serious and shoot IDPA exclusively, but shot USPSA for about three years in there. I have never used the same gun twice in a row, and often use a different gun for each match during the season. I have never had a problem forgetting what I was carrying and how to disengage a manual safety if one is present. I used to get ribbed at every match - told that I would never "rise up" and be a real competitor - but then I got my "B" card after 2 years is USPSA and earned Expert in SSP, ESP and CDP in 3 years in IDPA. I'm no Master class shooter, but I'm happy with where I am and feel that it proved to me that with practice, one can be effective with whatever platform one shoots.

Other than force on force training, having a stressor such as a timer in a match is about as close as I can get to an adrenaline dump without getting into a gunfight. I think that with enough practice, you can be confident in using whatever you choose - even to the point in which you carry a 1911 one day and a 5906 the next. I go against the rub by which I don't think the "up vs. down" is much of a big deal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I only have two concerns with frame mounted safeties, and both have already been mentioned. I have shot many thousands of rounds more through 1911 and 2011s than I have through Smiths. Therefore, muscle memory in an adrenaline rush situation may not work in my favor. My thumb has been conditioned to "swipe downward".

The second thing that bugs me is that the frame mounted safeties are in the way while racking the slide. I know that doesn't sound like much of a problem, but it annoys me.

There you have it my 2345ll

WG840

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
As with LeMat's training, my P.O.S.T. training with the SW auto's, we were not allowed to have the safety/decocker engaged. We carried what was called "street ready". We were issued 4506's, so it was chamber loaded, hammer down. Talk on the street from the BG's was that if the county PD showed, not much was gonna happen, if the SO showed, do what they say, they carry .45's. Not that we put alot of stock in what was said, but on several arrest's where we backed up the PD, and on some of our served warrants they(BG) always seemed to come along more peacefully than they did with the PD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wheelgunner840 said:
I only have two concerns with frame mounted safeties, and both have already been mentioned. I have shot many thousands of rounds more through 1911 and 2011s than I have through Smiths. Therefore, muscle memory in an adrenaline rush situation may not work in my favor. My thumb has been conditioned to "swipe downward".

WG840
+1. A few years back, a friend of mine that is a San Diego PD officer called and asked what I thought of Kimbers. I guess at the time, his department was authorizing the 45 ACP cartrigde and a few of his buddies swapped out their department Beretta 92's. He wanted my opinion of the Kimber. I told him it was and is a terrific gun, but to keep in mind he has carried a DA/SA Beretta that has a safety that is operated in the exact opposite manner as the Kimber. I told him his muscle memory would be working against him in a high-stress situation. Apparently, he took my advice and ended up keeping (at the time) the 92. I firmly believe that if you are trained on a S&W or other similar guns that have a sweep-down type safety, it is best to stick with that or practice extensively with the new gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I carried a Mdl 469 for a couple of years, NEVER had the safety on, always had a round in the chamber, never had an incident. The blessings of double action.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I do like the 1911 style controls. I'm a firm believer in practice. I feel that whatever I have in my hand will be in the correct configuration if and when the time comes.

During my Air Force years, I had lots of Beretta practice. I had always thought the 92 was one of the best looking autos ever made. But I preferred the controls on the PT99, so I bought one. It felt very natural to me. At the time, I had about a dozen guns to choose from and it went in the bag every time.

Although I loved my P90, I too had always felt the controls on the Ruger were a little awkward when racking the slide and a good streach of the thumb to push it all the way up.

The only auto I've shot this year is my sigma; the first no safety/decocker that I have ever had. Man, I love the way it works!

I say practice, practice, practice! We'll be ready!

Lee

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I do carry or shoot my 915, the safety lever automatically goes back to FIRE right after decocking the hammer.

That is also how I carry it. I am not a cop, so my concerns about a gun grab are minimal at best. Best defense against someone trying to take my gun is just to shoot him with it.

Safeties are, IMO superfluous in DA/SA and striker fired pistols.

Which is why neither of my M&P9s have them.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Jose said:
Best defense against someone trying to take my gun is just to shoot him with it.
happyroller happyroller happyroller

Jose, you just made my day!

Lee

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I am used to the 1911-type safety, it is what I prefer. I use a thumbs-down grip, rather than a thumb-on-safety grip. Have never had a problem with inadvertently pushing the safety on.

I don't feel uncomfortable with the S&W safety and always carry the guns with the safety engaged, but rarely use S&W autos for that purpose.

I feel more comfortable with a loaded gun of either design than with a loaded M&P or Glock.

·
Registered
593 Posts
M29since14 said:
I feel more comfortable with a loaded gun of either design than with a loaded M&P or Glock.
Neither will fire unless you depress the trigger. The question is, how disciplined is one's gun handling?

Striker fired autos are less forgiving, so one has to be on their game.

Opposite your position, I would not consider a single action auto for defensive use. I don't even own one nor do I plan to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I happen to like the up safe-down fire of the 1911. It works for my granddad's 75+ year old Woodsman, the many .45 ACP Colts I've owned, and when I first bought a 92 Beretta, it was the original model with the frame mounted lever. It certainly fits the musculature of the hand better.
That being said, anything can be learned with practice. Right now, my favorite pocket semi-auto is an old Beretta New Puma in .32 ACP. It handles exactly like its 9mm big brother, the 951 Brigadier. Both these models have crossbolt safeties where to the right is fire and to the left is safe, which comes off safe quickly with the ball of the thumb, but requires a shift in firing grip to apply. (One reason I like the push button is because I can check the chamber or cycle the slide while the safety is on, something you can't do with the 1911.)
I've put enough rounds through TDA Walthers and S&Ws to get used to the safety/decock and am comfortable with the design. I'm not overly fond of the SIG thumb decocker, but could live with it.
And while they certainly have their place, after working with the Glock safety-on-the-trigger, I stay away from them. That's just me though. You like 'em, use 'em.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I favor the slide mounted de-cockers. Started in the early 90's with a 5906 and it's burned in my mind and hands. I have an M&P but on-duty I use Third Gen S&W's. They rule and for the life of me I can't understand why anyone shoots anything other than S&W. Way prejudiced here. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts