Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four Years Ago Tonight I lost my Dear Friend Sebastian..... we laid him to rest just at sunset, buried with one of his brothers and his mother.

15 Years with me and never a bit of trouble....... Lived with me at 6 different addresses, saw me through my divorce and kept me alive more than once..... helped me raise my children.

On his last day here with me he enjoyed the first Spring-like day of the season, wandered around the neighborhood saying good by to all of his friends, had a good roll in the leaves and laid in the warm sun.... a few minutes later he was dead in my arms.

Loved every minute of his life, and died 15 feet from where he was born.

I'm missing you boy, and so do DJ, Ryan and Renee .....

A finer friend I never had.... you never let me down or complained about anything.... four years seems gone by like a flash..... wait up for me please, there at the Rainbow Bridge and we'll play "stick" together once again.....

I look forward to that day.

G

·
0 Posts
Drew,

He may be gone...but I doubt very much ~ he's ever been very far, from your side....

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve..... Very kind words. I appreciate it.... I miss him alot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
With understanding, Drew . . . I see lots of character in those eyes.

I lost my big 'ole Yellow Lab, Baxter on April 1st, six years ago.

I think of him and miss him every day.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Drew, I know how you feel, you were his best friend and he was yours, unconditional love is a wonderful thing.

·
Super Moderator
32,549 Posts
Beautiful dog there. It is always hard to lose a member of the family. I have gone through it before. You just have to remember the 15 great years you and your friend got to share together.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the kind words and warm thoughts.....

Sebastian and all those that went before him were fine friends and good company.....

I look forward to the day when I'll be running with that pack of hounds once again....

Drew

·
Registered
831 Posts
My friend, Sebastian has always been right by your side. His spirit has never left you. I'll bet he's at the Rainbow Bridge right now, just waiting for you. God Bless.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Drew,
They do leave a large void when they leave us, don't they?
Truly better 'people' than most humans.
Don

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss...the pup must've been super special to remain in your thoughts all this time! I cannot imagine losing my pup...but sadly that day will come. invpn

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Fellas.....

Yes, Sebastian was a very special dog. Born in my house with his new family all around him at a time when we were all still together and things were good. The kids were his constant companions as they grew up together until an ugly divorce drove us all apart for a while .....

His fifteen years here with me saw many changes, most of them not very good, but he was a constant through all of that.... you could always rely on him for a gentle nuzzle or to uplift your spirits no matter how bleak and hopeless things seemed.

When happier days returned and the evil passed, he was right there in the center of it all, making it easy for most of the broken pieces to fit back togeather again..... and he didn't leave us in the end until he was sure we were all going to be okay.... Maybe thats why God put him here at just the right time ..... when he passed it was peacefully in my arms and in the same room of the same house where he had come into this world long before.

He always had a kind, loving thought and never once balked or complained.... he was the right kinda friend at the worst time of my life..... he kept me and my boys afloat and for that I will always treasure his memory.... sometimes even now, four years after he has gone, I'll wake up in the middle of the night half asleep and swear I hear his tail thumping in his favorite corner... waiting for me to come over and scratch his ears.....

I think that the reason God put dogs on this earth was to teach us as men how to live.... be pure of heart, uncomplicated in our needs, live loyal and strong, love without reservation, forgive without question and sacrifice all for the good and protection of our families....

Sebastian was just that kind of friend.

I know that wherever he is, he still loves me and is waiting patiently for me to throw another stick or tennis ball for him.... 'til that day Old Buddy...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Drew,
Your post brought tears. I can identify with you on the best friend and one you will forever miss...you and Tusker helped me get through the loss of my GSP Jack. I look forward to the day I can walk the bridge with him again too.
Katie or Fritz will never be second rate, but you will always miss Sebastian, and I will always miss Jack. They were those "once in a lifetime dogs" and we are blessed to have had them.
Hugs, My Friend.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Leeeenz.

Had I a human friend such as you when all of this darkness happened, Old Sebastian could have taken a day or two off once in a while.

True, Katie and Fritz are special friends and even if they knew we forever held a spot in out hearts for another, such as Jack or Sebastian, they wouldn't mind. It is just in their nature to love us no matter what.

If a person truly loves a dog, then they become a better person for it. And when you make room in your heart for any dog, they become very special, more than they would have been otherwise. And in so doing, both are far happier and live better, richer and more peaceful, fulfilled lives because of it.

I cannot help but see God's Design in that Harmony.

Maybe if we're lucky, we can all toss a Frisbee back and forth on the wide, green field just on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Yours Always,

Drew

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sebago Son,
You brought tears to my eyes, I am sorry for your loss.

He is such a beautiful dog and sounds like he was pretty remarkable too. Dogs bring so much to our lives and they leave a pawprint on our hearts that never disappear.

I know how you feel, I lost my beloved lab in September, and I am still an emotional wreck when I think of him, I can't keep from crying. I miss him terribly and he was just the greatest dog.

We will meet our special friends again someday, for now I try to find peace in knowing they are with our lost family and freinds...

God Bless
Annie

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Drew,

Just found this thread. Guess you are an old soft touch after all.

I'm sorry for your loss and offer you these words from Mr. Bojangles, a song that Jerry Jeff Walker wrote a long time ago.

Be sure to read at least to the end of the fourth verse.

I knew a man Bojangles and he'd dance for you
In worn out shoes
With silver hair, a ragged shirt, and baggy pants
The old soft shoe
He jumped so high, jumped so high
Then he lightly touched down

I met him in a cell in New Orleans I was
down and out
He looked to me to be the eyes of age
as he spoke right out
He talked of life, talked of life, he laughed
clicked his heels and stepped

He said his name "Bojangles" and he danced a lick
across the cell
He grabbed his pants and spread his stance,
Oh he jumped so high and then he clicked his heels
He let go a laugh, let go a laugh
and shook back his clothes all around

Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles, dance

He danced for those at minstrel shows and county fairs
throughout the south
He spoke through tears of 15 years how his dog and him
traveled about
The dog up and died, he up and died
And after 20 years he still grieves

He said I dance now at every chance in honky tonks
for drinks and tips
But most the time I spend behind these county bars
'cause I drinks a bit
He shook his head, and as he shook his head
I heard someone ask him please

Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles, dance..

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Annie,

All I can say is thanks.

I still choke up when I think of my old buddy. Sometimes I swear to God he's still here.... I lean on the door looking out over the back lot and think of him.... it wouldn't suprise me one bit if one of these old days he were to bound up to me just as he did when he was a fine young dog, his whole body wagging, lick my hand and let me know it's time to go home.... if (when) that day comes for me, I hope it's him that is to be my guide. I fear that day less when I think of him.

He was finer company than most people I've ever met. Before or since.

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alphonso said:
Drew,

Just found this thread. Guess you are an old soft touch after all.
Yeah, well. It takes an awful lot to reach me and most folks don't think it's worth the trouble to try.... Honestly I can't argue with that....

But old Sebastian did, with ease. And there was no price attached.

I wish every dear friend of mine (you among them) would have at least one fine dog in their lives such as Sebastian.

Drew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow. That came from your heart.

I'm not much on sentimentality, but your story gave me pause to reflect on the dogs I have lost over the years.

Thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts