0 Posts
Happy for you! Depressed for me... :mrgreen:
She looks great in the cokes...

giz

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a fairly late Model 24-3, ABZ-69XX.

A friend and I were detailed by our wives to travel about 100 miles from home to buy the (apparently) only remaining special baby-crib mattress on the face of the earth.

All right--so we Googled gun shops along the way and plotted out our route accordingly. About the second one on our list was REALLY rural and we nearly blew it off--good thing we didn't!

This place was in a guy's house, and so small you literally had to go outside to change your mind! Even the mice were round-shouldered!

He had one old display case, the top of which was insanely cluttered with old catalogs, magazines, and other assorted ephemera, such that it effectively concealed all the four or five handguns within.

I had to kneel down to peer into the case--it was really dark in there--
and right between an H&R topbreak and a TC Contender frame was a 4" large frame Smith resting in its box; I could see that the box had metal corners! Suspecting an older Model 28, I asked to see it.

The shop owner, obviously weary of hauling the gun out only to see it rejected by his normal clientele, warned me, " You know, it's a .44 Special, not a Magnum."

"Well, OK", says I, feigning disappointment, "Let's take a look anyway."

I looked her over and found it to be a pristine example of a gun I had foolishly sold many years ago--and I had been searching for another one ever since, even though I knew I probably couldn't afford one. It was so new that the little round inspector's sticker was still stuck to the bottom of the grips (target, football cutout).

Then I turned over the hand-written price tag, the amount on which probably reflected his frustration with trying to sell this underpowered orphan to his rustic contemporaries.

Not gonna say how much I paid, but I will admit it was far less that I had expected!

I am very pleased to have it!

Tim :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Good for you! Good things come to those who wait!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tusker-- Thanks--I am aware of the problem and I know just where they can break! I was VERRRRY careful--and I don't plan to shoot it with the Cokes in place.

They shore pretty it some, though!

Tim :D

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Well done!
The grips do make it stand out

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
:mrgreen: That's a great story and I really like how you wrote it! Boy would I like to "stumble" on one of those beauties! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Those "Cokes" are to be locked up in the safe, and never used for shooting. The grips are worth 1/2 as much as the gun!!!! :eek: :D Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Aren't little out of the way gun shops neat! I have a few within the 75 mile radius of an afternoon trip I visit ever so often. It is amazing what may be lurking in those places. Unfortunately one of my favorites is now gone, like the one you found, in a house, but this one was an active trader. Must have been over 1,000 guns in there. One wall was stacked with boxes, red, blue, black, gold, about 4' up the wall and about 8' wide. They were all full. He know where every gun was and he had prices that were honest. He had to go into a Nursing home a few years ago, and was still trading guns out of the Nursing home until they told him he had to stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts