Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Ruger had parts left over from a Remington 660? :lol:
Nice find Giz!
Was that an option Ruger offered at one time?
What time frame does the serial indicate?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mick,

The S.N. puts the gun into early 1965. The Muzzlebrake was a option and could be bought separately or ordered assembled on the gun. The rib is something I have never seen. According to the original owner, he called Ruger and ordered it with the MK I. Sounds a little hooey until you look at how it was installed. Every one of the mounting lugs is a different height, and ground to the barrel's varying profile. Pretty elaborate piece of work, actually.

I'm calling Ruger Records tomorrow and ask how it was shipped out. Not sure if they will record the modifications made at the factory.

giz

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
If it was shipped that way, chances it is a 'one of' would be high.
Cann't think of a better home for it than in Maine kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Did it come with a Star Trek communicator? LOL

Seriously, that is a cool looking pistol Giz.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Giz,
Really a cool gun! hpzl;n;
Before there were specialized Ruger target models (as you know, I'm sure), Bill's guys would often do whatever it took!
That gun is about tyhe neatest thing since the King 'Super Target' conversions.
Don
kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
WendyZXZ said:
Did it come with a Star Trek communicator? LOL
I was thinking the same thing! I acutally found one of the plastic disks that were used in my Star Trek gun recently, they used the same thing many years later in an un-remarkable toy my son had. Seriously though, Giz what you have really is cool, have you shot it? Likely being factory outfitted, I suspect it can knock the wings off a housefly at a good distance, great find!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had it out at the range yesterday. It is definitely built for rapid fire. I need to do some work on the rear sight blade to improve it for me. Most likely will take off the original Micro blade and buy another to file to my wants and needs...

Definitely a interesting gun. Going to hit up the gals at Ruger Records again tomorrow. Hoping that they will letter it as being a factory muzzle brake gun. Very rare in this barrel length ;)

Blackcloud2...

Actually the housefly was way to easy...

It knocked the wings offin' several blackflies and skeeters.... :mrgreen:

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruger Records confirmed today that this is one of the handful of Factory modified muzzlebraked T678's....They pulled the guns invoice. :mrgreen:

A letter is being sent on the gun...

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Did they say if the rail was factory installed? Regardless, You should be proud to have found and liberated that great old pistol.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are researching the rail. I was on the phone to some folks out in Prescott, AZ today after Ruger Records in NH transferred me...

Interesting gun. This will be the second T678 muzzle braked factory gun, known to exist.... :mrgreen:

giz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts