Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at the LGS, hoping they had prime. They didn’t, but they had a lot of Hodgdon & Winchester powders. I picked up a pound of Titegroup for $29.99. Not terrible considering I have heard of about any powder out there running running in the $45-60 range. It’s usually about $19-22 per pound. They had H110, Win 231, CFE Pistol, CFE Black and probably a half dozen others. There was 8-12 bottles of each so I would guess they just recently got a shipment in. Everything they had was in 1 pound jugs
Tin Bottle Automotive tire Liquid Alcoholic beverage

It was good timing. I just finished off a pound of Titegroup a week ago

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Primers seem to be available on gun broker But on auction 5000 bricks run $500 to $550 plus shipping and sales tax. I'm bidding on 1000 @ $115 but the guy is local so no shipping will be involved. The shipping charges vary between $20 and $50 for the most part. Good luck finding primers. The guy I buy for keeps looking local and nothing available
Dan

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have found some powder locally also lately. Hogdon brand, which is good. That’s what we use mostly for our pistol loads. Mid south has sent me an in stock notification just about every day for TG also. 1 lb only, I used to buy everything in 8lb. Hogdon powder has been available every now and then on their website, they have been shipping to the house, but usually only 5 pound limit. I hope I’m wrong, but the days of 2.5 cent primers and $20/lb of powder are gone!

Regards, Rick Gibbs

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good for you! Glad you were able to pick up some powder.
Primers always seem to be the last component to come back after any disturbance. Hope they make a come back soon..
Supposed to be some new company coming on line soon, and while I am skeptical, I am optimistic as well.
I hope some foreign or domestic manufacture figures out that vista out doors, is holding the shooting industry hostage, and come to our rescue soon.
I would expect 50 bucks per 1000 to be about the minimum, new normal price, if we are lucky.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
I only buy 8 pound jugs and yes I can find that too. I find the 1 pound jars to be foolish.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I haven't bothered to look for powder since the panic began.

I only reload straight wall pistol. Down to 5x1lb W231 and 3x1lb Bullseye, plus 1ea open on the reloading bench. About the equivalent supply in large and small pistol primers though fewer projectiles. Eh whatever... either prices will return to semi-sane levels or they won't. Factory ammo prices seem to be headed in the right direction so perhaps we'll see prices of powder and components follow as supply builds.

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
I mostly load large caliber rifle so I can wail through a pound of anything pretty quick, especially when dropping 100+ grains at a time. My magnum handgun loads (460 and 44RM) also take a lot of propellant. I see no reason to buy pound jars and still pay the haz-mat fee when I can buy 8 pound jugs and pay the same haz-mat fee. Only small caliber rife I load are .223's. Typically, I can get about 500 reloads to the pound, give or take.

Have 1000 STS cleaned, flash holes reamed, annealed, FL resized, trimmed and waiting to load when I get the time, probably between first cut hay and second cut.

Interestingly, I got the cases from Capital Reloading and only had 2 culls in the entire bag of 1000+ cases. Exceptional OFB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts