Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I've settled on my fun shooting load for my .44 special. It's the Lee 200 gr RNFP, unsized and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. I load it over 4.0 gr Bullseye. It's ridiculously mild, easy and cheap to load, and it shoots about like this:

This is 5 shots at 25 yards, standing two handed single action. I don't shoot much better than that.

Funny, everyone seems to tout the classic Keith/Skeeter load of 7.5 Unique/Lyman 429421 as a mild mannered plinking load. I have tried that load with a 200 gr bullet and it did shoot well, but I don't find it mild. It's not abusive, just not what I'd call mild. I like this better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Patrick, that sounds like a nice load. I have chronographed the RCBS 44-200-FP a 206gr bullet out of my mould & 7-1/2 grs of Unique at 930fps. It's a fairly stout load, but accurate. Frank

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
looks like you found a winner!
Can't wait to see the hunting pics!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shot a bit more today. I don't have pictures to post, but here are two observations.

First, today I shot the same load, the only difference being I had some conventionally sized and lubed bullets, sized .431. They shot as well as the unsized ones, but certainly no better. Less work = more range time, so I think I'll stick with unsized, Lee Liquid Alox bullets.

Second, not to brag, but I did a little double action shooting from the 25 yard line. I ran three cylinders thru the gun, double action. 16 holes were in the black, probably 12 of them in the 10 ring. I pulled 2 into the seven ring at about 10 c'clock. That's good shooting for me, especially with a 4 inch gun. Yes, I I know I had to line up the sights and squeeze correctly in order to do this, but a good accurate load certainly helps.

I think this is a darn good load!!

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
I'd say that's pretty good shooting Patrick! Good stuff!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts