Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I got here with a probably very common way. I found a 32 hidden in the ceiling of my basement while doing some electrical work.
I do know from readings the posts that it is a 32 long ctg(as its marked) and that could possibly be an M&P..I've attached a couple pics
could someone help me on it please? Thanks and merry Christmas (belated).

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
It's none of the above. It is a Model of 1903 .32 Hand Ejector. 5th change . Made about 1915 or so based on the serial number.

What you do have is active rust corroding your gun. That should be addressed ASAP.
First remove the grips by loosening the screw on the grip panel and then gently tapping the screw head to loosen the panel on the other side. With the other grip off your can gently push the first panel free from the back. Be careful, those hard rubber grips are fragile and will crack.

Now with the grips off, mix a tub of 50% ATF and 50% acetone Put a top on the tub so the acetone doesn't evaporate.. Immerse the gun and let it soak for at least a week agitating daily. The mix will release the rust without damaging the remaining blueing. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times before the gun is rust free.

Welcome to the forum.!

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
ATF = automatic transmission fluid?

Reactions: combat and msharley

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! As Del says, it is not an M&P. It is a 32 hand ejector built on the I frame. This is the predecessor to the J frame. J frame grips that enclose the entire grip frame like Target, Boot and combat styles will work on this gun and make it easier to hold. Also in addition to soaking it in the Ed's red solution that Del talks about, you can use bronze wool or a copper chore boy scrub pad to make the rust come off easier. Don't use steel wool. Good luck!

Guy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's none of the above. It is a Model of 1903 .32 Hand Ejector. 5th change . Made about 1915 or so based on the serial number.

What you do have is active rust corroding your gun. That should be addressed ASAP.
First remove the grips by loosening the screw on the grip panel and then gently tapping the screw head to loosen the panel on the other side. With the other grip off your can gently push the first panel free from the back. Be careful, those hard rubber grips are fragile and will crack.

Now with the grips off, mix a tub of 50% ATF and 50% acetone Put a top on the tub so the acetone doesn't evaporate.. Immerse the gun and let it soak for at least a week agitating daily. The mix will release the rust without damaging the remaining blueing. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times before the gun is rust free.

Welcome to the forum.!
Thanks....I actually had my FIL..give me a little history on it too... Althiugh he was former LEO...I didn't know hw was aware of these revolvers....he did suggest giving to local police to run the serials and I did...they will give back to me after they run the number...
Thanks again ..I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and I'll hopefully have a great story to why it was hidden in the ceiling 😉

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Thanks....I actually had my FIL..give me a little history on it too... Althiugh he was former LEO...I didn't know hw was aware of these revolvers....he did suggest giving to local police to run the serials and I did...they will give back to me after they run the number...
Thanks again ..I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and I'll hopefully have a great story to why it was hidden in the ceiling 😉
If there's a story behind it, we want to hear it! :)

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
I remove rust from blued firearms using well oiled 0000 steel or bronze wool on a well oiled surface.

Don't rub hard, and remove the grips before starting.

The iron oxide is softer than the magnetite (bluing surface) but you can damage the steel if you rub too hard.

Once the red oxide rust is removed, use a preserving gun oil to prevent it in the future.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your find.

Reactions: JAARMY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! As Del says, it is not an M&P. It is a 32 hand ejector built on the I frame. This is the predecessor to the J frame. J frame grips that enclose the entire grip frame like Target, Boot and combat styles will work on this gun and make it easier to hold. Also in addition to soaking it in the Ed's red solution that Del talks about, you can use bronze wool or a copper chore boy scrub pad to make the rust come off easier. Don't use steel wool. Good luck!

Guy
Guy, I was reading the posts before I joined the group..there were so many posts with great responses , I knew I'd find the answers here..I will definitely post any info on the gun when I get it back from PD....again thanks

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I got here with a probably very common way. I found a 32 hidden in the ceiling of my basement while doing some electrical work.
I do know from readings the posts that it is a 32 long ctg(as its marked) and that could possibly be an M&P..I've attached a couple pics
could someone help me on it please? Thanks and merry Christmas (belated). View attachment 491397

View attachment 491398

View attachment 491399

Fine old 32

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey J,

Welcome to S&W!

Great find!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Makes me want to check the attic of our 1951 house.

Reactions: msharley and JAARMY
1 - 20 of 42 Posts