Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I attended with some other members from the forum here, the annual S&WCA Meeting which was Hosted this year in Troy, Michigan a suburb of Detroit AKA Motor City. The Theme of this year meeting as The Famous Registered magnum. This had to be on of the best Themes ever with more Registered Magnums in One Place since they were assembled at the factory.

Many were for sale but the current Market prices Being of $6000.00 average was to say the least staggering. I saw many one of a kind specimens and MR Roy Jinks gave an excellent presentation of The Registered Magnum. To say the Least if this show did not get your blood Pumping, You had better have someone see if you were still alive. I walked the floor many times and finally found a Registered Magnum that may fit into my Budget.

A member had Brought along with him a First year registered Magnum With the desirable 3-1/2" Barrel. It was many Thousands of dollars less than the rest Offered because some idiot had at one time, Cut the Lower grip frame and brought in the back strap to allow a smaller circumference grip to be used. It now was sporting a set of Rubber Pachmeiers on it, to hid the amateur job of Grip strap hacking that had been done.

I looked it over closely and consulted with one of the well seasoned members of the association. He shared with me that who ever cut it did everyone a favor by Brazing it back together and they did not Molest the serial number in doing so. It was also evident it had Not been fired or carried much due to the shape of it's original Pre-War finish and lack of deep flame cutting seen on those that have been shot a lot. We dickered a little on price and I was able to bring it home with me.

This Gun shipped on December 3, 1935 to Bowen hardware company of Augusta, Georgia. It was sold to an FBI Agent and Oddly enough came equipped and lettered with the patridge sight blade. There are no date stamps nor 5 sided stars on the frame so it is safe to say this one had to have laid in someone Night stand drawer for many years.

I have an E-Mail into The Augusta Historical society to Learn more about the Bowen hardware company, and will be repairing the cut grip frame shortly. I have had the Original Roper grips awhile awaiting the Right Gun, and now I think I have found it... Hammerdown

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Hi Kurt,
A super nice find and one that will bring a real pride in ownership. I trust that the repair will be at least reasonable.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
f150guy said:
Nice find, and Kudos to you for intending on nursing her back to health!
Hello f150guy and Others
I appreciate your Kind Thoughts and words. I hate to see any gun wasted, Mauled , left Chopped up, Or Billy Bob'd and this one had too much quality and past History not to repair it. I have a few Masters at Gun repair on the Burner at this time but have Not made a concrete decission who will fix it yet. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kurt,

Very nice gun. Congratulations!

I enjoyed finally meeting you at Troy and getting to visit a little. It is always good to put names and faces together. I'll have great memories of good guns, good experiences, and good friends.

Bob

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Bob
It sure was great finally meeting you as well, and I appreciate Your Kind words here. I Noticed you had some very nice Guns on your table. I realy enjoyed this meeting and bringing home one of the Registered Magnum Theme Guns made it that Much better to attend this one. I know it was a Much Longer distance for you to drive than it was me, and my Hat is off to you for doing it. I am Glad you arrived home Safely, as I Hoped everyone driving would, & I wish I had the time to say Goodbye at the Sunday Morning Breakfast as well, but I felt my Family was looking forward to having me home for Fathers day Dinner, and felt a Little Guilty enjoying myself without all of them by my side as we are a Tight Family. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a nice looking RM. Thanks for the story and pics

Hello 4864
Welcome to the forum, Dave has a Nice Board here and I have been a member since his first day of starting it. I also appreciate your Kind words on my recent find. I sure did not expect to be bringing one of these home at the recent S&WCA Meeting, But I Lucked into it and the seller was highly Motivated.

I am currently searching for more Information on the owner of it, but the History trail is long and rough with it's past many People have Passed away. I did speak with the Grandson of the man that Originally ordered it from S&W Back in December 1935 who was 82 Years Young !

His name was the same as his Grandfather Charles Bowen III and I found his Contact Information after I got an E-Mail from The Augusta, Georgia Museum of History. Below is a copy and paste Version of what they shared with me, and as you can see the Bowen's were all Gun people from the beginning of time.

Charles Bowen III has Promised me to send a Family History of his ancestors which will include his great grandfathers Involvement with standardizing the Caliber for The Confederate Troops during the Civil War of which he Built Muzzle loading rifles for the troops. Regards, Hammerdown

Mr. Vogler,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the Bowen Brothers Hardware Company in Augusta.

The only business papers I can find are an accounts ledger for December 1917 to end of 1918.

I have not found any photos of Charles W. or the business although we have general photos of Broad Street.

I looked the company up in the Augusta City Directories (not a complete set).

In 1883, 1884, 1886, 1888 & 1889 we have a William D. Bowen, gunmaker at 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

In 1889 William D. Bowen, gunmaker at 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, clerk W D Bowen, boards 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, mess. Southern Express Co, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1892-3 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, dealer in guns, pistols & sporting goods, 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, gunsmith 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, clerk 918 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, clerk 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1895-6 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, 1028 Broad Street, resident 1226 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, mchist., home 1226 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, clerk, boards 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, salesman 1028 Broad Street, boards 1226 Broad Street

In 1908 William D. Bowen, gunsmith

Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen (Viola H.), home 1236 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, 1226 Broad Street

Walter J Bowen, hardware, 1044 Broad Street, home 607 15th Street

In 1912 William D. Bowen, gunsmith, home 1207 Ellis Street

Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen (Viola H.), home Monte Sano Ave

Guy M Bowen (Nannie H.), home 1219 Greene Street

Walter J Bowen (Pearl M.), hardware, 1044 Broad Street, home 1207 Ellis Street

In 1917 Bowen Brothers, hardware, 908 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, President, (Viola H.), home 2409 Central Ave

Guy M Bowen, Sec-Treas, (Nannie H.), home 1335 Monte Sano Ave

Walter J Bowen (Pearl M.), gunsmith, 1044 Broad Street, home 309 9th Street

In 1935 Bowen Brothers Hardware, (hardware, sporting goods, paint, oil, varnish & radio sets) 905-909 Broad Street

Charles W Bowen, President

Charles W Bowen Jr, manager

Bowen & Hulbert Hardware, 829 Broad Street

Guy M Bowen, VP-Treas

So as you can see from the above, the family were gunsmiths. It would seem William D was the father and the other 3 possibly his sons or other relations who had competing hardware stores.

The Augusta Genealogical Society (1109 Broad St, Augusta GA 30901, 706 722 4073) might have more on the family tree.

Hope that helps.

Guy Robbins

Curator

Augusta Museum of History

706 722 8454 x18

[email protected]

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hammerdown, great find, great patience in your search and absolutely beautiful grips. A photo of "before and after" without the grips would be appreciated. Even if the before has to appear much sooner than the after. Would have enjoyed being there in Troy with you and the other S&WCA members, could not swing it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kurt that is a beauty with the Ropers! I am glad you and Ed struck up deal on this fine "35". Hope to see you next year in Tucson. I really enjoyed the Apple Pie, yum. kjdfjemnd
Maybe you can make it to Tulsa or Louisville, just bring lots of money, lol. You are always welcome at the OGCA meeting, I will sign a guest pass for you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.22M.R.F. said:
Hammerdown, great find, great patience in your search and absolutely beautiful grips. A photo of "before and after" without the grips would be appreciated. Even if the before has to appear much sooner than the after. Would have enjoyed being there in Troy with you and the other S&WCA members, could not swing it.
Hello .22 M.R.F.
I hate it that you were not able to Swing Troy as well, But don't feel alone, many could not attend due to the High Cost of everything and to me this was sad because I felt the Registered Magnum was one of the Key Guns to S&W's Later Magnum Cartridge success. Believe me, it took Far More Patients Passing on all the deals I saw out there from the Last S&WCA Meeting which was in Sturbridge Last year at this time, to allow this trip and Purchase of this hand gun. I would have been Just as Happy in a Super-8 Motel which in Turn would have allowed more Purchase Cash for stuff you never see anywhere else. L.O.L. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Jack
I enjoyed myself at the meeting as well, and really enjoyed all the Comradery with forum members there. kfjdrfirii The Purchase of this handgun was sure not intended but at the Price it was offered, I could not refuse. hpnpap I will have it repaired shortly, and enjoy shooting it. I May get to an OGCA Meeting one of these days and thanks for the Invite. Don Warner and Dan Tanko have also extended their welcome Mat to me at that show as well. I have been to Louisville, But it has been a couple of Years. I may make the next one, But Tulsa would take a lot of Cash so that is one I need to Plan on to have enough Cash flow. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello
As I mentioned prior to this, That I had spoke with Charles W. Bowen III The grandson to The store owener that took reciept of my 1935 Registered Magnum Back on December 3, 1935 and while on the Phone with him, he revealed a Bunch of Family History on his Ancestors. He Promised to send me the information we spoke of and how His Grand Father came into the Family owned hardware business and what became of it all up until it was sold in 1958. I received the letter today and was very Impressed as to what his Family roots revealed and wanted to share it with You, so here is a Picture of this latest Correspondence and it now goes with my Registered Magnum to add to the History of it. The Only Information we spoke of on the Phone that I see a discrepancy with is his actual age of which he shared with me to be 82 in Our Phone Conversation ,But Perhaps this was a typo on his part, as he still is very, very sharp considering his age. mean while, My Hunt continues for more Pertinent Information and History of this Revolver...H.D.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Very interesting Kurt. Thanks for sharing and my congrats as well on the RM. In reading the letter from Mr.Bowen,I noticed that his ancestor was born and raised in Bishopville,SC. That was also the birthplace of my grandfather and my father. Small world.
f.t.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.