Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a pocket knife rummaging through a box that's been packed away for several years . Not for sure think I found it in scrapped tool box somewhere , couldn't been grandpas because he took care of tools and knives . Cleaned a small spot off the tang and can see BOK and barely see etching on the blade, have it soaking in Rem oil now.
0322191531a.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Company I worked for issued us that style but made by Klein Tools .
My favorite style pocket knife for years .
Screwdriver locked but the blade did not. If you were not careful you could lose a finger pushing that thing.

·
Banned
918 Posts
I had one of the Camillus, from the Navy. Zorched a nice divot in the flat ended blade.

I can do you one better. Today I found MY penknife! Still can't find a bunch of my other stuff, tho

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I found a BOKER chart BOKER U.S.A 1945 - 1983 some on Ebay go for $25 -$75 . The earlier ones with wood handle in good shape worth more, also seen Camillus and Klein listed. Knife is looking a little better , using a small block 220 wet o dry and Goop
0323190808.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Yep that's a TL-29 great knives they were issued to all of our field wiremen in our commo section, Everybody wanted one but they were hard to come by in Korea. I had one but a Korean Marine swiped it. That's a long story.

·
Premium Member
16,684 Posts
The locking blade is a combination screwdriver/wire stripper. Good knives. I wore out 3 of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bad memories of a Barlow I bought years ago! My dad knew a fellow who owned a chain of hardware stores, and there was a stack of Barlows by the cash register, and the price for one of them just happened to be about the amount of money I had that was burning a hole in my pocket. So I picked one out, plopped down my money, which was about a dollar, sixty-nine, then had enough to dump into one of those old Coke machines, the kind where you pulled out an icy Dr. Pepper, just the right amount for a hot day in the South.

Since I'd spent all my money on the knife and the Dr. Pepper, I walked home, dropping my remaining change in the parking meters that had expired. When I got home, I got out my knife and began whittling a piece of wood that had a knot in it. I did okay until I got to that knot, and it began a battle of will -- me (and my new Barlow) against that knot!

The wood up to the knot was fine, but when my blade got to that damn knot, it was vicious. To make a short story shorter, alas, the knot won. My blade stuck several times in the knot, only to be freed with some manipulation. But then it happened. The blade and handle snapped free and somehow buried itself in the quick of my right thumb. This was some fifty years ago and I still remember how deep red that blood flowed. It took forever for my grandmother and mother to stop the blood flow and get it bandaged, and then it remained bandaged for the longest time. Never had much use for a slipjoint knives after that. I carried the Barlow during my scouting years and after that it was lost in the sands of5 time. But every time I see a Barlow, if brings back those awful memories.

--

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That is a nice electricians knife in the OP. BOKER was a well respected brand.

Barlows are a unique style of knife characterized by the bag grip but, more importantly, the elongated bolster. They were available with one or two blades and in at least three sizes, standard, baby and large. They have been around since the 1600s and been carried by famous folks, George Washington being one of them.

Nearly every company that made pocket knives made a Barlow, they were the everymans working knife.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
That knife is a real beauty! About the best kind of found knife! You are very fortunate to have it. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
19,428 Posts
I have both of those knives. The Boker was my father's for work, as a pipe fitter for Chapman Valve, then later as a maintenance man for a company who rented the old Springfield Armory Building. He used to find old gun parts hidden in the walls of the old armory, when he worked there.

The Sears Craftsman Barlow knife, still gets carried in a belt sheath for a folding knife. (I used to have it slip out of my pocket on occasion......so I bought a leather sheath for it, on my belt. ;) ) I bought the Barlow at the Sears-Roebuck store in W.Springfield, when I was about 10. After 60 years, I still carry it on my belt. :D Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts