Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I located a pre war 5" Heavy Duty at a show in Grand Junction yesterday. The seller told me that it belonged to the Police Chief of Atchuson Kansas who he purchased it from many years ago when he was the editer of the local newspaper there. It has no rust or pitting but does have significant blue wear from holster carry. The grips show a lot of wear as well. There are areas of bright shiny metal. Gun is tight and otherwise in really good shape. The ser# is 50452.

The askeing price is $650 but I think it can be purchased for $600.

Thanks much,

T

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Marshall Tom,
For $ 600 it's probably a nice gun to buy, and here's why:
1) IF the provenance can be proven, it becomes a fine historical
'document'.
2) At $ 600, it can (and will) be a great shooter that's also
collectible.
3) A 'pristine' example is twice that price.
4) They aren't making 38/44's anymore...
Don
;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the Forum.

As Don said, there are a lot of reasons to get that gun. Only one reason that I can think of not to get it...if you can't scrape together the cash. If you get it, your investment will only grow...along with your appreciation of these old Smiths.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replies. I called a friend over at the show and had him walk over to the table to see if it was still available. He told me that the price tag read $1650 and not $650. End of story. Where do these people get the crazy notions about the values of their guns. He told me that he didn't know anything about these guns and had asked one of the dealers in the show about the gun.

Tom

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Tom, The fact that you thought that the price was $650, and got all excited, because you thought you could get a bargain, at the sellers expense, only proves why the prices are so high. Everybody wants to sell high....and buy low. Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, MT
Sorry it didn't work out for you.
$ 1,650 is so unreasonably high it doesn't deserve comment.
............UNLESS...........
It was owned by Eliot Ness, has an autographed photo of Ness, J. Edgar Hoover, AND the gun! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a 38/44 collector, I can tell you this: Scarcity and provenance will produce prices that'll clear your sinuses.
A garden-variety, 5-inch HD in less-than-excellent condition had better have documented, serious, important ownership credentials, or IMHO it's probably worth half that asking price, on a good day.
Keep looking and you'll uncover a gem sometime.
Don
;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the replies. Don, you are so right. I have been watching them for some time and thought that $600-$650 was in the ballpark. $1650 is out of the question.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called the seller. I asked him if I had misread the tag on Saturday. I told him that my friend had checked his table for me on Sunday to see if the gun was still there and told me on the phone that it was marked at $1650.

He told me that he didn't know much about them and that a guy at the show had told him that it was worth $1650 so he marked it up since it wasn't selling at $650. Go figure. I told him what the gun was worth and now we are back on track for a sale.

Tom :)

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
I guess he just got a little greedy, and added a 1 in front of the original $650, that you saw. Good luck on getting the HD at your price. Bob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Out here in the People's Republic of California, land of loony gun laws, it likely would be offered for $800 - $850 (not sold, perhaps, but offered).

But $1,650 as you describe it? Ah-hahahahaha...

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts