Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm not a gun person, but my friend just found a 1955 S&W 38 special while renovating a home, hidden between attic joists and buried by insulation. Original box, appears to never have been used. Serial # starts with C6XXXX. How can I get more information about this model, its worth, etc., etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Hey, Jude! Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a glad song, not a sad song...uh, ahem. ;)

It is a .38 Military & Police revolver, pre-Model 10, from 1949 if it only has 5 digits after C. It won't have a model number on it because S&W didn't implement them until 1958. It is probably a 4" barrel...six inchers were also popular...and blued, if it still has any finish left. Got any pictures?

It would be in a Gold box with the serial number written on the bottom in grease pen. Also, the box should tell you everything I said above.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Yep. Guy has it. Pictures are a must to ascertain value. Whole gun: left side, right side.
Great find!

Reactions: JudeK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey, Jude! Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a glad song, not a sad song...uh, ahem. ;)

It is a .38 Military & Police revolver, pre-Model 10, from 1949 if it only has 5 digits after C. It won't have a model number on it because S&W didn't implement them until 1958. It is probably a 4" barrel...six inchers were also popular...and blued, if it still has any finish left. Got any pictures?

It would be in a Gold box with the serial number written on the bottom in grease pen. Also, the box should tell you everything I said above.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Well, those^ two are awesome. HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR COLLECTIONS??? :oops:

The Mod 10 shown is a tapered barrel. I believe it is a Mod 10-6 if there is no screw in front of the trigger.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Yeah. Open the cylinder and read the MOD 10-? number. It was shipped around 1963. It's in nice shape for being in an attic for almost 60 years. Whadda ya think Fran and Mike? $800??
This "mike" thinks very close to that number, in my neck-o'-the-woods. Of course with better pix from a real camera

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Yeah. Open the cylinder and read the MOD 10-? number. It was shipped around 1963. It's in nice shape for being in an attic for almost 60 years. Whadda ya think Fran and Mike? $800??
Prolly a little steep at $800, easy sale at $650 +. With today's market though....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice find! Amazing that it survived all that time up there and stayed that nice.
Would love to find something like that in an attic. The only thing I ever found other than work, was dust and brown recluse spiders.
Lots of guns get stashed in attics for some reason. Never could figure it out..

The boy friend of a lady that i once worked with, 20 some odd years ago, found an 06 Winchester in their attic.
He was not a gun guy, and they had a handicapped kid, so they wanted rid of it, and I was able to buy it.
It was taken apart, at the take down, and wrapped in plastic bags. Sadly not in the condition of your gun, but still a nice old rifle.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
I'm in Texas FWIW. Friend is in Kentucky w/ the gun. Could make the sale either place...? Need your advice!
Well, it is not an antique so it'll have to be shipped through an FFL on your friend's end and an FFL on your end. They will both charge transfer fees plus shipping. If you're going to do that, shop around for an FFL that is reasonable on fees. Personally, I'd sell it where it sits. I don't know the laws in KY but, in most free states, in-state sales do not require an FFL involvement...only if shipping the gun out of state. Federal law does not apply to in-state sales so it can be shipped inside the state without an FFL involvement.

Take some well lighted, sharply focused pictures and post the "for sale" in the Classifieds here and on the smith-wessonforum.com site. If you don't want to ship, make sure you state "face-to-face" or "in person" only. Follow the posting rules religiously, especially on the other forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it is not an antique so it'll have to be shipped through an FFL on your friend's end and an FFL on your end. They will both charge transfer fees plus shipping. If you're going to do that, shop around for an FFL that is reasonable on fees. Personally, I'd sell it where it sits. I don't know the laws in KY but, in most free states, in-state sales do not require an FFL involvement...only if shipping the gun out of state. Federal law does not apply to in-state sales so it can be shipped inside the state without an FFL involvement.

Take some well lighted, sharply focused pictures and post the "for sale" in the Classifieds here and on the smith-wessonforum.com site. If you don't want to ship, make sure you state "face-to-face" or "in person" only. Follow the posting rules religiously, especially on the other forum.
Great to know. I'll get some better pics and send them to you guys for identification purposes, ok? Don't want to post until I get some professional advice from you on what we're dealing with. Thanks ever so much!!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Per my comment of price for your friends gun if in my area. Certain areas of the country tend to be more pricey than others. So keep that in mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.