Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had completely forgotten about the RG line of handguns but lately I have seen a few of them showing up at shops. Most recently one turned up in a pawn show down the street from me. This one is a 22 LR caliber and before that I saw a 38 with a 4 inch barrel. I remember back in the 70s this was one of a few brands that people would either stay away from or run away from along with Star, Astra, and Lamma. The store owner let me hold it and somehow I was not impressed with it. I had never held one before but it looked crude with its plastic grips, simplistic design and flat finish.
Has anyone had any experience with these old hand guns? Somehow I don't think they would go for much, but these days, who can tell?

· Registered
963 Posts
Not sure what I would do with a gun like that. Too inaccurate for plinking, not dependable enough for self defense, and I don't know anyone that I dislike bad enough to give one to.
No place for a piece of crap like that in my world.

· Registered
49,257 Posts
IF they are cheap enough and IF your area does the idiotic "gun buy back" program, you can make some good money

· Registered
113 Posts
I'm not ashamed to admit that I owned one. Was back in my high school years.
It was an RG22, a full size 4" .22 LR. I shot the poo out of it, it was all I could afford at the time. The pistol was blocky, crudely finished. Beer can accurate. IIRC, I traded it for the $40 or so I paid for it originally and moved on.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
RG 38 spl. revolvers are kind of scary , cover your eyes when you shoot them kind handguns but,,,,,,,,,,,If you really want to get creeped out look up RG model 57.
I saw one one time ,,,,,YIKES !!!!!!!!!

· Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I used to see them at a couple of different stores back in the early 70's or so. I either wasn't 21, or had just turned it and I really wanted a handgun. Any handgun. It seems they sold for about $30 or so, and I was so broke back then I couldn't even scrape that up. A Smith and Wesson? HA! They might as well have cost a million dollars. I had about as much chance of coming up with that, as I did whatever those S&W's actually did sell for.

I never did get an RG...or a Raven 25 the other object of my lust back then. Probably just as well. Eventually I was able to afford a Smith and Wesson, and the Lord Himself only knows how many others since then.

Many years later though, I saw an RG, with the box and papers, in the case at my LGS. The gun looked as much like new as any RG I've ever seen. I was reasonably sure it had never been fired. I think they were asking about 100 bucks for it. I was tempted, just for "old times sake." I even held it and tried the trigger. The D/A pull was awful, as expected, but the SA...it was even worse. :eek: I literally could not get the hammer to fall in SA. I started to throw out an offer of $25.00 but I was afraid they'd take it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts