Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for the input on ammo- just a couple of newbie ?'s If i were to reload my own would there be any harm in using jhp's instead of wadcutters? (i presently reload 357). Am i correct in assuming that i should be more concerned of c u p pressure instead of velocity? if so then what might be a good mild load? I have noticed that i can go to a ammo manufacturers web site and get specs on velocity/bullet size,type but not c u p. Any thoughts on that? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well,,yes you could use jhp's.....but..lead wadcutters would be cheeper if your reloading... and at .38 special velocity you may or may not get bullet expantion out of jhp's

for just plinking..I'd use the lead wadcutters... you just making holes in paper..the wadcutter has a longer bearing surface gripping the rifleing in your barrel.not to mention the nice round holes it makes on the target surface..

and yes the point of cpu's "copper units of pressure" is a valid point..however... all powders should list a starting load. this is normally the lowest speed, lowest pressure load for that given bullet/powder combination.

think of each load as following a recipe for cooking... each power/bullet combination is going to be different....

find a power you like, then chose the bullet you want to use..follow that powder manufactures recomended load for that particular bullet
( cast ~v~ jacketed ) and you should be just fine..just as long as you don't exceed the manufactures recomended load.....

a good book to pick up is lyman reloading handbook.. I think it's up to the 49 edition?... anyhow not only do they list the different powder/bullet loads but will also list pressures..

reloading is a complicated nightmare when you first start... theres so much infromation thrown at you at first.. it boggels the mind.. so many things that could go wrong,, underloads, overloads, squib loads.. stuck cases,bad crimps, exc....

However.. just take your time, don't get distracted by anyone or anything,, double check everything,, weigh your powder , and before you know it you'll be pumping out loaded shells like an expert..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts