Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea of value of those, just thought someone would be interested. There are some here who have posted before about these. Just thought I'd help out.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
And it was very good of you to do so Leighton!

That's a really nice example of an early "Improved I Frame" Chief!

I enjoyed looking at the snapshot. Thanks for putting it up Bro!

Drew

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Indeed Leighton! Please don't be offended in any way, you didn't price the gun. I meant no offense to you!
I find the early Chief's endlessly facinating, here's why: The top photo is a good one, it shows the early hammer/spur really nicely. There are several variations I've seen in these early hammer & spurs, the checkering on them along with the exact shape, angle of thumb tab and length. I've wondered if they were in fact different hammer designs or just different production lines. For example I've got a couple of early guns with maybe half the amount of checkering on the hammer spur as the gun in the photo does. This along with serrated vs. smooth front ramps, the metamorphasis of the trigger guard shape, from the early round to the more elongated egg shape, it interests me in that it seems like they went in production before they really knew how they wanted the new gun to be configured. You don't see much of this apparent uncertainty in the other models, if any at all. At least not that I am aware of.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geoff40 said:
Indeed Leighton! Please don't be offended in any way, you didn't price the gun. I meant no offense to you!
Geoff, None taken Sir!
Leighton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts