Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I believe that in order to ask a price on a gun a "member" should have at least 30 posts. Seems we get many that join/ask/gone. I think Injun Bro mentioned this earlier.
Exactly !!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I avoid the price questions, regardless. I'm not the blue book. It always depends on where you are and demand for a particular configuration. I'll take time, if I have it, to look up serial numbers for a date range for an inherited piece. But, that's about it. I can answer general questions on a number of models, but I know my limitations. I defer to Guy and Irv and others for the details. Price? Never.

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
I wonder if the mods could setup a separate forum for "S&W Valuation" threads... It would put them all in one place, and they could limit posts there to people with a certain number of prior posts, or length of membership.

We could also require photos and serial numbers for any valuation (helping solve the theft problem by making the serial numbers searchable).

·
Premium Member
11,340 Posts
I stay away from price questions. All they have to do is monitor gunbroker and gunsinternational for a few weeks. Not that hard to do.

Plus look at the want ads on this and other forums. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I believe MANY of the first post "what zit worth" questions are a closeted way to see if someone will make an offer on their presumed treasure.
They leave when nobody does.
That's why I tend to ignore them unless it's from a known member.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
The Kubota forum I frequent has a post count threshold. You have to have at least 5 posts to post a picture. I think something similar could be applied here or like was said, a separate forum just for pricing questions, but then first time posters would ignore that in as much as they don't even bother to read the users agreement. No one reads the fine print today, most everyone just 'wings' it.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
What does the SW Book tell you about price in any specific location or market.?? Same with Blue Book????

As the old Pawn Shop mantra, Blue Book is just a suggestion (when pawning) then of course it is 100% value when the try and sell it!:eek:

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I believe that in order to ask a price on a gun a "member" should have at least 30 posts. Seems we get many that join/ask/gone. I think Injun Bro mentioned this earlier.

Wasn't me. I joined this & other forums because of friendly, helpful folks who answered a question from a 1st poster, me. I no longer visit forums where snarky elitists think if you ain't one of them you ain't nothing.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
A five post count is more reasonable than thirty. It's hard to run up a post count when you know nothing about the subject matter. Like many my first post was about value and info on a Highway Patrolman. Then after lurking on both forums for quite some time I felt comfortable posting more questions and answers. There's no right answer. If it's convenient I'll look up a number for somebody but if it's not I'll just let it go and usually somebody will answer.

·
Super Moderator
31,439 Posts
A person should be able to join and post, start a thread, ask a question without there being a limit. Setting up a limit might restrict new members who become regular and fun members who make this place a online home. Those with just the one question, try to sell, who may never return, they will just pass on and best to them in their life.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
A person should be able to join and post, start a thread, ask a question without there being a limit. Setting up a limit might restrict new members who become regular and fun members who make this place a online home. Those with just the one question, try to sell, who may never return, they will just pass on and best to them in their life.
Here I am with just 2 Smiths and a well know poster. I like this forum and have made many good friendships here. Great place to chat. May be down to one shortly. My hunting buddy Jimmy wants my 460 real bad. Might have to sell it to him and buy a Desert Eagle in 50 AE. I just have to have at least one big bore cannon.

Not sure if my 60's vintage S&W bolt action long gun qualifies as a true S&W. After all it is a Husquavarna and imported by Smith and Wesson, not built by.

Far as I'm concerned, if they go bang and shoot somewhat accurate, they are all good with me.

I'm really a long gun (bolt action) person, not a revolver or semi auto person.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Take a peek at the members list and you'll be surprised at the vast number of "members" that have 0, or 1 post. I'd venture a guess that if those ghost members were dropped, the forum membership number would be cut more than half. There really should be a inactive time limit set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts