Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came from a friend yesterday...

I was a bit surprised at .45acp kB! given the fact the .45 is a fairly low pressure cartridge. Then I found the gun was .45GAP, not ACP...

Now I don't know a lot about the .45gap... but I expect is is a high pressure cartridge like the .40 S&W. If that is the case the kB! makes more sense.

Anyway here is the link:

http://www.theledger.com/article/200803 ... 30481/1004

This is a town not far from here... maybe I can come up with more information if time permits and if everyone I know there has not retired....

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is not as uncommon as one would think. see, all glock handgun chambers have unsupported caseheads, approx. 1/8 inch of unsupported casehead in a 360 degree circle. You are right that the 45GAP is a high-pressure round. It's another attempt to make a 45ACP in a package small enough to be slim and hold more than eight rounds. The .40S&W is the other. Witness the fact that the 45GAP cannot be handloaded past factory-level.

Add this high-pressure to an unsupported casehead and you're asking for pain. In the case of the 40S&W, the problem is that the chamber is made to handle the original round, a 185grain pill at 950 fps. Not 1250fps! The chamber crystallizes from the pressure and longitudinal stresscracks start appearing. Sooner or later it lets go, Classic Glock Kaboom. Dean Speir has a website devoted to the problems with the Glock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.