Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent "flat thingie" thread fueled my desire to fill what I perceived as a hole in my collection.
Hence:

While perusing the outtasight prices at the Nashville, TN. Fairgrounds show, I found this marked as "model 36" for $550.00.
Upon examination, I realized there was no model # inside the crane.
At that point the dealer said, " That is a private sale and money talks". Well $500.00 talked it out the door.
This is a very tight Chief's Special (pre 36), if you will. Diamond magnas number to the gun, very, very slight turn ring, very light powder residue on the end of two chambers, SN:1063XX. Looks like 1956 in THE BOOK.
Input on price paid is welcome.
Thanks for lookin',
Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
An especially fine Chief's Special and purchased at a most reasonable price considering it's age and condition. So very nice. I'm taking another long look at it just now.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMC,
Thanks for the kudos. I use a light spray of rem-oil to smooth out the prismatic tone seen on metal after whipping an oily gun, and just realized the S&W logo was filled-in also by the light coat of oil/flat lighting I used.
I feel pretty stoked about it, overall.
Mike

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Mike,
Here's # 71841 from 1956.
IMHO the Chief's Special (and its numbered successors) are the best carry guns going, period.
Don

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don,
The grips on your example appear pristine, and I agree their pre-eminence as a carry weapon is unsurpassed. This one, however will only be carried by a rack in my safe, when not being fondled, of course.
My best, oldest friend lives in Jersey and wants a snub to keep on the downstaris level of his home, he has to acquire a permit for each handgun he owns. Knowing the cost of a new/good-used smith or colt, I told him to get his permit and he can drive down and I will open my safe for him to take what-ever he desires, we'll call it a gift for his loyalty over the years, but I may have to hide this one, so he's not tempted by it's blingy nature! I have a low SN M-36, that I will put up in the front, maybe he won't take my M 60-3 3", but if he does, it will only show his good taste. This one, though, NOT!
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts