Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might be a dumb question but here it goes. With flame cutting, I have heard the use of slower burning powders cause it, and some say faster burning powders cause it. So which is it? I don't shoot alot of rounds, (each gun maybe 500 rounds a year). Is there anyway that flame cutting can be avoided in my .357's and .44 Magnum? Both of these guns are over thirty five years old, and my .357 has it a bit worse, but I don't put full house loads in it all the time. (can't say what the previous owner used). The cylinder gaps are both within specs.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
With modern guns this is a non-issue.

I have .357s that have had a documented 12,000+ rounds through them without a "flame cutting" problem.

You have more to worry about from a Martian Invasion than you do from your Smith & Wesson being cut in half at the breech by heat erosion.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I wouldn't worry about gas cutting unless it's a cosmetic thing for you. This type of wear is almost a foregone conclusion with magnum handguns and is self limiting. It will progress to a certain point and then stop.

Bruce

·
Registered
753 Posts
Don't worry about the cutting, It will seldom get worse. This 629 is nearly 30 years old and shot a lot. So much that the timing went out, plenty of endshake, barrel was turned and the yoke wore out to a point the cylinder would wobble up and down. The top strap is still looking fine. After the rebuild, I still shoot it all the time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
no need to, as said above, it cuts a bit, ( may not...) but it goes just so far and then basically "spot anneals" the area, and goes no further......yes, maybe "cosmetic".......... fhfjjjj

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another trick is to rub a pencil on the cut groove. The graphite is said to prevent any further cutting but as mentioned earlier, it will only cut so far and then stop anyways.
Cheers
dB

G

·
I have a Dan Wesson in 357 Maximim. It came with an extra barrell because of flame cutting, but I never saw any evidence, and this a truly nasty round. The 30 carbine Blackhawk seems to be the highest pressure revolver, and again no problem, but Ruger stopped making it in 357 max for precisely that reason. So who knows at what pressures it becomes a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.