Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scratched the 243AI barrel on my Encore yesterday. It doesn't have the satin bead blasted finish on it but semi gloss finish (brushed finish?)
Anyway came home and thought I could touch it up maybe with the ulta fine steel wool and gun oil. The scratched disappeared but now I have a dark shiney spot where the scratches were
What would be my best approach now (if I even doing anything else) get Scotch Brite Pads and see if those will help blend the spot in ?

PS: It's a terrible deal to be a perfectionist...LOL

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Probably Scotchbrite. The steel wool was probably too fine and you "polished" it.

Reactions: ScunkMike

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
What you want is grey first (fine, perfect for S&W brushed finish) or White (even finer ,if you want more of a polished look )
Green and red are WAY to coarse, keep them away from guns.
Hindsight hell, NEVER use steel wool on a stainless gun. Steel will impregnate into the stainless and rust later on. nhvaoavo

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you want is grey first (fine, perfect for S&W brushed finish) or White (even finer ,if you want more of a polished look )
Green and red are WAY to coarse, keep them away from guns.
Hindsight hell, NEVER use steel wool on a stainless gun. Steel will impregnate into the stainless and rust later on. nhvaoavo
I learned that a little to late

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I learned that a little to late
Take a powerful magnet and a patch. Do gun-patch-magnet and rub a few times over the spot. Most of the particles from the steel wool will get into the patch. Not perfect, but should get most of it.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the Scotch Brite (Gray) at an Advanced Auto store today. It done a great job ....looks great.
I’m not ever going to use steel wool again, but if I keep the barrel oiled in low humidity conditions, I would have no trouble with rust and pitting? It’s a barrel used for target and woodchuck shooting and is not out in foul weather. Just wondering........
And thanks so much for the advice on the Scotch Brite ......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts