Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday was a gorgeous day - the kind that makes you want to live in a climate like that. It could have been a Southern California gorgeous day.

A buddy, David, had called me the day before and wanted to work with his EDC gun - needed some practice. I contacted another friend, Tom, and invited him down too. I have a 50 yard range just right for handguns. We spent the morning shooting a variety of guns, David even brought out a little .410 single shot break open shotgun.

After a couple great hours shooting, we decided to call in an order to the local convenience store and grill. They make great burgers and sides. So I called in the order, and shortly David said he'd drive to go get them, and I went along with him.

We were getting out of the truck at the store when I realized I was still carrying my Colt 1911 - the one I had on when we were shooting . Big full size black 1911 in a black holster, about 4:00 on the hip. I was carrying it at the range because the first 2 rounds are snakeshot, and it's snake season.... I mentioned it to David. He looked a little concerned, but it's legal and the store isn't posted. So I left it on.

We went in - he to get a 6-pack of Corona (what else!?!?) and I to pick up the order. I kept an ear out for any disturbances and the only ones I heard was David telling everyone we had just been shooting, I presume to explain to everyone why I was still strapped. He did seem like he was a tad excited!

I think he told 3 people what we had been doing - he was more concerned what people were going to think about me open carrying than I was! Both of us are known by name in the store - so it's not like a stranger walked in with heat.

Poor guy! Of all the people I'd pick to get agitated at open carry, he'd be one of the very last! And it wasn't him carrying!

Next time I'll wear the Model 29 in a tanker holster! And I'll be sure David is there again!

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I have hit a convenience store on the way to or coming from the range a few times, and walked in open carrying. That is legal here in PA without the need for a permit, but you seldom see it. I honestly dont even think anyone noticed I had a gun. One time the clerk noticed. We were the only ones in the store and he asked to see my 4" 686, then showed me the Ruger Service Six he had under the counter

·
Registered
146 Posts
I refrain from telling anyone I’ve been shooting, no matter where I’ve been. All it takes is one person to overhear and start thinking here’s a target shooter and probably has a bunch of guns. Follows you home and pays your house a visit next time you leave. I have a empty house that I’m remodeling. Set me up a nice range in the back yard. A local crack head saw the set up and broke in thinking he would find guns. Didn’t steal anything, but ruined 2 entry doors and trashed the inside of my house searching. Cost me over $1k to repair everything. I found out because he told one of his buddies. Know who did it but the sheriffs department says there is no proof! Of course the didn’t take prints and the “investigation “ lasted about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
10,738 Posts
Open carry is legal in North Carolina (except for a small number of municipal governments that prohibited it before statewide uniformity was passed by our Legislature), but it's extremely unusual to see a civilian open carrying in our major urban centers.

For that reason, when I see someone open carrying, I tend to take notice, and also observe their behavior, body language and anything they are saying. Just part of my normal behavior when I see something out of the ordinary while out in public.

The only problem with open carrying is that you may be more likely to attract the attention of someone that intends to actually commit a crime - making you the first they will attack. It's a major reason for concealed carry.

You can always encounter hoplophobes (irrational fear of firearms) in any public setting. If they start whispering anf pointing, I consider it THEIR problem, not mine - and I never feel any need to explain myself. I'm confident it would do no good to suggest they get some counseling.... most are well beyond that in their psychosis.

I'm exercising a right, and if someone doesn't respect that right it's their problem. If a store manager doesn't like it, our state allows them to exercise their property rights first, allowing disrespect of my self-defense rights. So, if the business property owner asks me to leave, it's within their right and I'll smile, put down my purchases, and just walk away. No sense arguing with idiots.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Super Moderator
19,366 Posts
When I was in Idaho I open carried quite a bit. Nobody ever gave me a comment or second thought.
The very first day I was in Idaho, moving there I stopped at a Subway restaurant for lunch. I'm sitting in the dining room eating my lunch,and a family of 4 walked in. They were all open carrying, Father, mother, son, and daughter. Nobody in the store said a thing. At that point I knew it was going to be a great place to live!
I miss Idaho so much, and all my friends back there. I never once had a problem having a friend go to the range with me, they loved it.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was in Idaho I open carried quite a bit. Nobody ever gave me a comment or second thought.
The very first day I was in Idaho, moving there I stopped at a Subway restaurant for lunch. I'm sitting in the dining room eating my lunch,and a family of 4 walked in. They were all open carrying, Father, mother, son, and daughter. Nobody in the store said a thing. At that point I knew it was going to be a great place to live!
I miss Idaho so much, and all my friends back there. I never once had a problem having a friend go to the range with me, they loved it.
My town is an unincorporated village of 300-ish souls. There are a couple of actual stores in town, and a really good burger place that was closed on our range day. The Valero station/grill was the only food place open and their burgers are great.

I imagine you do miss Idaho - but maybe not the snow? Hang in there Greg, lots to like in TN.

·
Super Moderator
19,366 Posts
I imagine you do miss Idaho - but maybe not the snow? Hang in there Greg, lots to like in TN.
I miss everything about northern Idaho, especially the huge amounts of snow. My little town was around 1400 people, and we averaged 12 ft of snow every year. I have always loved the winter snow, wherever it's at.
Here's a couple of photos from a few years back in Idaho.

Obviously, Corlinda wasn't enjoying this very much.

This was our home. WE had just finished clearing the roof and driveway. We had 6 ft of snow in 2 days with that storm.
And, I never missed a single day of work because of any snow storms out of 17 years being up there.

The neighbors house across the street

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That is actually a funny story about your buddy being so nervous he had to run damage control when there was no damage. Oh my goodness would I have given him the stuff but good. I hope you mocked him relentlessly .. in good fun of course.

I have lived in AZ about 15 years now. I have seen .. or noticed open carry about all of 10 times. I usually just look to see if they are carrying something neat and what are they carrying it in. I used to open carry when I was walking the dogs and I have stopped in at the local pharmacy and other small stores open carrying and no one seemed to care.

I think all the regular rules apply .. if you look like a dirt bag methy skell .. people will key on you and a gun doenst help. If you are a regular shmo .. no one wants to make eye contact much less engage in potential conversation so unless you are a movie star or exceedingly attractive .. or the aforementioned dirtbag .. no one will notice.

I conceal carry light by throwing an open button up shirt over my Tee shirt. If you want to see my gun its pretty easy .. but ... most people dont even want to acknowledge you are there so I dont sweat it.

Edited to add .. you Idaho boys pining for snow .. ya can have it! Brrrrrrr no snow for me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts