Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
photo-3.jpg photo-2.jpg photo-1.jpg photo.jpg Hey, I'm hoping that I got the right gun, and it seems that from the searching that I did. I bought a S&W .38 special Model 10 - 5 for under $300. This seems to be a good beginners gun used by military and police by the millions. I'm interested in any facts like how old it might be. It has one screw on the grip, two screws on the right side one in front and one behind the trigger, and one on the left side on revolver release. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
457 Posts
A big welcome from east ky.!!:d...:d

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. fognbov

Post the serial number thusly... 1234XX and we'll be able to give you an approximate "born on" date.

S&W has made over 6 million Model 10's they are good to ride the river with!

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Welcome to S&W

Hey 38,

Welcome to :bluelogo:

See if I can help. The four screw, has a screw under, and in front of the trigger guard. The five screws have this screw, and the one on top of the side plate, under the rear sight.

A three screw, has neither of these screws.

Later, Mark

Attachments

Reactions: zigzag

·
Registered
297 Posts
welcome and i guess i have to be the one to say it "WE LOVE GUN PICS!''

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
Business38,
Congratualtions on buying a great revolver for a really good price.

Your Model 10 should never be considered a "Beginners gun". It has saved tens of thousands of lives, and taken out more than a few bad guys in it's long and distinguished history.
You have the base of the S&W lineup, and all others follow behind it. If you take reasonable care of it, it'll serve you for many more years to come.
Better than half of the members here own one or more of them, and they certainly take pride in that ownership too.
Stick around the forum and there will be much more to learn and to share about these handguns.

Your revolver is designed around shooting a .38 SPecial cartridge with a 158 grain bullet. it should shoot to your point of aim at 15 yds easily. With a little practice you should be able to hit a 6" target at 50 yds without too much trouble. You can also shoot ammo that's rated as +P.

+P ammo is close to what the standard .38 SPL load was 30 years ago, so it should be quite manageable with your revolver.
Enjoy your new found wheelgun, and please stick around to share and learn with us.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
18,887 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone. It is nice to know some of the history of my gun. Was there any problem with showing the serial number?

·
Registered
442 Posts
welcome to the forum from Belgium

1 - 20 of 24 Posts