Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time loading for a .45
6.5 grains of unique with a 200 grain LSWC , seem to chamber fine,and they go BOOM.. makes tight little groups but, about four inches below my aiming point....
going to have to get a 230 grain mold for this one..and start chaseing brass everywhere...( now i know why i love revolvers )
anyhow, first time loading the .45 and it's opening a whole new ballpark......lot different than the .44's i'm use to doing

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Sounds like a really great load. You just need to hold a little higher, right?

Revolvers are much more fun when it comes time to chase brass though, I agree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are going to continue to shoot primarily 200 grainer's you might want to try a couple other loads that you may want to use and if they all shoot low then adjust the front sight accordingly. Filing the front sight down slowly, and testing as you go, should get you into the bullseye. Of course you will probably then be a little high with 230 gr hardball.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good job! Most folks complain about chasing brass. Ha! You'd think they had something better to do. Well, I don't mind in the least. If you want to shoot an auto-loading firearm, you'd best get over that notion.

Again, looks you like got it right. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That's an excellent target load for .45acp! I've shot a zillion of those 200gr. SWCs, but have been stuck on the 230gr. RNs for much longer. The RNs seem to be 99.999% reliable in my 1911 and the SWCs aren't quite so troublefree.

xtm

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 200 grainers seem to be catching on the top of the feed ramp every once & awhile.. giving the back of the slide a little bump set's everything right....
i think if i can get a day off this weekend, i'm going to try to get to the show up here and see if i can find a 230 grain mold and some more brass ( the stuff keeps dissapearing)....

as for filing the front sight.... kubvcabo .. you kidding it's a Sig,,,LOL. with the funkey glow in the dark inserts....I'll just have to go to a heavyer slug to get it to hit higher.... but it was a good idea..

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
JMO, but if you can find a 230gr. RN mould that casts a bullet without that "step" that sticks out above the case, you'll find it to be less troublesome. One that casts a bullet that is shaped closely like a hardball slug is the best, IMO. Sometimes, small slivers of lead are shaved off that "step" when the round is chambered and can cause occasional malfs.

Lyman #452374 is the mould to look for. I used to have a 2-cav. version of that one and lent it to someone who lost it.

xtm

·
Registered
669 Posts
The 230 gr. RN will most likely help with the low grouping and also be a bit better as far as smoother feeding through your Sig. The auto's do make you appreciate a Mod.25-2 or 625 though on occasion. :mrgreen:
Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about the plated slugs,, however, theres a bunch.. probally a thousand pounds or more of wheelweights and a bunch of " printers plates"( linotype) that a friend of mine brought me, (he use to work for the local nespaper)
anyhow, i HAD a mold for .45 slugs...and use to cast them for said friend... But, for the life of me I can't find it....it was a H&G gang mold and threw perfect slugs.....I remember putting it someplace where i wouldn't loose it, just can't remember where.....
and yes I'll be looking for a Lyman #452374 this weekend...
as for the load 6.5 grains of unique,, I like it,, it's mild recoil wise and it's the easyest powder to find around here..and I'm trying to pick up a pound or two every weekend.. gotta keep the toys happy.. njgapjgj

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had excellent results with 200 gr hard cast SWC over 5.8 gr of W-231. I have clocked them at 900 fps at ten feet with an SD of 12 or 13. Accuracy is excellent and the cases are dropped in a tidy pile about five feet to my right rear. The two things I recommend for this type bullet are first that you use a Lee Factory Crimp die and second that you lightly lube the lead bullets with Lee Liquid ALOX. The FCD together with the correct COL with ensure proper feeding and the ALOX will take care of the leading.

I hope that helps,

Frank

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with working the way we have been around here , I haven't had time for anything.....going to try to get a new mold this weekend....going to go with 230 grainers they hit right at point of aim... as for ejecting into a little pile...not this one....it's LAUNCHING brass 10 to 12 feet to the right..... kufO .....not much fun for reloading.......but I do get the right side of the range to myself...... ryperp

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Congrats Kritter! Better than the experience I just had. I bought 2000 pulled 230gr.FMJs from a guy to reload. Came from brass with GBC headstamps. Anyway, went to seat and taper crimp and the bullets were loose. Thought my die went out of adjustment. By the tme I got the die adjusted to hold the bullet tight it was wrinkling cases. Long story short---The bullets were undersized. .448. Damned Europeans! hgapngpa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts