Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new job where I’m required to carry. The gun I currently own is a S&W M&P bodyguard with a laser. I don’t know what kind of holster to use or what position to keep the gun. I also don’t know if it’s okay to have it fully loaded. I’m comfortable shooting a gun, but I’ve never carried. Any advice would be appreciated and I’m sorry for sounding like a complete new person/moron!

·
Registered
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new job, sounds like it could be interesting and I would want to be carrying. What type of firearm, holster and how your carrying it is up to the individual. Find out what works best for you and go with it. Hopefully your employer will have policies/procedures regarding this. Keep us posted on the details.:)

Reactions: jeepnut and Boriqua

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you will be acting in a capacity similar to a sheriff or police officer. Even if you are comfortable shooting I would want to get additional training. I would think they would offer or insist on it. If you will be wearing a uniform do they want you to open carry? Also, I would want to carry something larger than the Bodyguard. Just my opinion as a civilian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new job.
I must assume you will be given training on local laws, customs, and company policy on carrying. If not, consider another employer/liine of work.

How one carries depends a lot on the firearm, clothing options and the climate wherever you're going. Comfort is important and most of us spend months if not years of trial and error to find what works best. It's an individual thing. I doubt you'll have time for that and the lead time for some leather can be weeks or months.

Your best source may well be other employees and trainers. I wish you well and hope you return to give us updates on this experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will you be a city employee or an out-sourced contracted employee? Either way, I'd want to see their policies on personal security. In writing. I too would want to be carrying in that job, but if they don't have that in a written policy then it's just a verbal suggestion, in which case they bear no liability and if you get into a legal scrape you will be on your own. I would still carry (concealed), but would want to know if my employer has my back or not.

Either way you have to get become comfortable (mentally/emotionally/spiritually, as well as physically) with carrying a gun. Training goes a long way towards both, just by instilling confidence that at least you trust yourself to carry safely.

For the physical aspect of carry positions/techniques, each time I change my carry gun I will spend a week or two carrying it unloaded. That way I can experiment with different carry positions, holsters, and practice the loading/unloading/holstering/un-holstering transitions. Those administrative transitions are your biggest safety risk of carrying a gun. Don't "experiment" on those aspects with a loaded weapon.

If you are a city employee and will have to enter/exit municipal buildings multiple times during the day, you may be exposing yourself to those risky transitions often if they have made those city facilities a "gun free zone". I'm in a similar situation. Which is why I'm considering going back to a revolver or a hammer-fired semi-auto to make those transitions easier and safer.

My personal preference is concealed carry. I would only open carry if I were wearing the uniform of an agency which has some sort of law enforcement mission. That's just my personal preference. I don't begrudge any citizen their right to open carry, I just think it's unnecessary, un-civil, and incurs a tactical disadvantage.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Working for a govt agency, either as an employee or contractor, they require you to be armed and they don't have any type of firearms training and certification? I find that very hard to believe. The liability on any agency is way too great not to require some training and certification.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If the person delivering the citation needs to be armed, those citations should be delivered by the police, not untrained civilian employees.

·
Registered
789 Posts
From the little you wrote so far this "new job" sounds like a scam. I would not give them any personal information at all (like your social security number, for instance) before checking them out very, very thoroughly!

A good friend of mine almost got taken in by a new job scam that sounded very legitimate. It was a close call for her.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes, either the discussion starter is telling a big story or he's falling for a scam.........because the scenario outlined does not ring true at all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seems strange for a building inspector type job to require carrying a gun. That 2×4 up there is supposed to be a double 2×4. Which one ? Pow💥, that one↗

1 - 16 of 16 Posts