Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who wants a .45 At first he wanted a Sig 220 but I asked him why not a 1911 style since it's just for target. After shooting my TLE2, he now wants a 1911...but he can't decide which one. I suppose a Kimber target model would do him nicely...but we're open to suggestions from the other makers...something around a grand....5 inch, with target sights. Again, nothing too high end price wise....

G

·
0 Posts
Boy oh Boy Sip, that is a loaded question ;)

I can't recommend a Kimber. Or a ParaOrdinance. No to the Taurus, seen to many problems.

What I can recommend is a good used shooter Colt that someone is giving up. I'd trust a gun he was allowed to shoot first that exhibits good accuracy, no failures to feed, no stovepipes, etc...

If your gonna go down the road with the .45 ACP, might as well go with one that knows it's way ;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I know this will stir up some controversy, but what the hell what are friends for. The only 1911 that I will own is COLT. Now excuse me while I get the h out of the line of fire. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yep, a good used Colt is probably the best pick. Target, you say? Colt Series 70 or 80 Gold Cups are still fairly reasonable. Me, I prefer the Series 70. Good luck & good hunting.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice guys....but we're in LA so finding nice used guns is a bit harder...and we can't buy from out of state if it isn't on the approved list...so I was thinking of something he can pick up new in the store....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd suggest the S&W 1911 series...

These are available in all sorts of configurations and the prices are reasonable... and the ones we have have been the best "out of the box" 1911s I have ever seen.

Our S&W 1911s are dead reliable, accurate and have pretty good triggers out of the box... in fact the S&W is the only new 1911 I am able to use for carry as it comes from the box, no need for a reliability package, trigger job etc. For target use they would be even better.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
For decades I was "Colt" only when it came to the 1911's I owned.

Then in 1991 I bought a NIB all steel "Norinco" 1911 that had a decent (for it's $299 price) trigger & exterior finish; but with tool marks galor on it's interior, and a thumb safety that took a crow bar to dis-engage.

But once at the range, "Holy Snikey"; it outshot my Colt series 70 "Gov-mint", my Colt Combat Commander, my Colt Commander, and my SIG P220.

Was it American made, no, was it well finished, no, could it shoot like a house-afire, YES.

The same can be said of some other "Non-Brand" 1911's I've encountered or have owned.

Before snubbing any (as in lots of whistles & bells for the money Taurus) research some articles on the problems professional's have had with "high-dollar-big-name" custom 1911's.

These articles tend to all read, "...after 200 rounds the FTF's seemed to have worked themselves out".

No sh*t, that seems to be the case with most 1911's. They don't tend to like anything but FMJ fodder till they're "broken in" regardless of their cost.

One more observation and I'll shut my pie hole...the 1911's I carried in harms way for Uncle Sam were made to mil-specs by "the lowest bidder" and worked just fine.

Sip, tell "your friend" good luck on his quest, and don't be too quick to cull "non-name-brand" 1911's. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I dunno if the Dan Wesson line is available in Cali. The Commander Classic Bobtail sells for right around $985. I have found it to be the finest 1911 I've ever fired. The fit and finish is astoundingly fine. It's one tight .45 and it shoots super tight groups. Trigger breaks at just under 4 pounds. I love the Bobtail mainspring housing. Dan Wesson's line of .45's has something for everyone. They're all virtually hand built and hand finished.

Best bang for the buck that I've seen.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'd go with a Gold Cup if I could.

If not, given your price constraints, then I guess my first choice would have to be a Service Grade ParaOrd P-14.45. http://www.paraord.com/product/category.html?cat=11

I'd go with a Springfield before I took a Kimber.

But if you wanted to throw in a few more bucks Les Bear makes about the most accurate 1911 .45 I've ever shot.

Drew

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sebago Son said:

But if you wanted to throw in a few more bucks Les Bear makes about the most accurate 1911 .45 I've ever shot.

Drew

I have to second that. And I have a few Baers to vouch for it. ;)

The Springers are very good ones to start with IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have to agree with mm6mm6 on this one. Selling my CBOB was perhaps one of (if not the) most regretted gun SNAFU's I've done.

I've owned 1911's of Colt, S&W, SIG, Para and Kimber flavors and the Dan Wesson was the finest.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, as many of you already know I bought my first 1911 recently. I went with the new Colt XSE series and absolutely love it! Aside from the fact that I had to Locktite the rear sight set screw (a known issue) the gun hasn't had a single hiccup. It was worth the extra $$$ to go with a Colt in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All.

Please help me choose? I wish to buy a colt 70,but seeing the dan wesson changed my mind.mod piontman seven and valor.here they are in the same price range.which one is the best?I saw a lot of comments and made me more confused.I already own a S&W dk1911.and wish same thing more classic.

Rgs zorro :?:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sip... FWIW, today while purchasing the 642, I was sidetracked by a gorgeous Springfield Armory 1911 A1. Brand new in box with 2 magazines, mazazine holder, and holster, kinda like they do with the XD series. the fit and finish was, in my opinion, as good as the COLT sitting next to it. And with a tag of $795 +tax, marked down to $750.00 OTD, i almost bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts