Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i picked up a older (I think) Stainless S&W 586 357 k-frame the other day from a guy in trade for a p-22. I offered him cash as well but he just wanted the p-22 cause he could find ammo for it, and was having a difficult time affording/finding ammo for the S&W. Needless to say i jumped on it. Now i have a older little 38spl snubbie that was my grandfathers back up but i never use it. anyways i was wondering if i could get some back ground on the 586. I cant find much online about em. I would like to know how long they were in production, any big problems i should know about, and do they all have such a awsome single actoin trigger? I mean the thing is nice in double action also but when i put her in single the pull feels like maybe a pound. I am truely found of her and not to mention she is a dang tack driver. The only problem i have found so far is that my wife wont leave me any ammo...lol...I loaded up around 150 38spl rnds last week for it got home to day went out to the back yard to play and found my wife had taken some target practice.......what a great girl. huh?!! If there is some more info you folks need ple3ase just let me know thanks again -Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Wish I had a wife like that you lucky dog.... can she cook?

Anyway, a 586 will be Carbon Steel, not Stainless. The stainless equivalent is a 686. Maybe your gun is nickle which some inexperienced fellas might see as stainless..... there were more than a few nickle 586's made....

These are excellent guns and well built. Should last you a lifetime. They first came out in the early 1980's and were a compromise between the ruggedness of the N-Frame .357's (which were quite heavy) and the K-frame .357's which some (uninformed, worry-wart) folks thought were not tough enough to handle the Magnum round.

BTW, a single action pull of "a pound" would be pretty light. About 3 pounds would be great, 4-5 pounds normal for a box stock gun.

Drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
apreciate the help however it is slightly under 1.5lbs as per my gunsmiths scale. I thank you for the info on the Nickel, instead of stainless. I thought it looked a little diffrent then my stainless 1911's but i was unsure as like i said i have almost no knowledge of S&W weapons. Does anyone know the apoxament value of this peice it is in 95% condition, probally a little better but i like to be on the safe side. thanks again -Bob

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
1911PRO.. welcome to the group.

Sounds as if someone may have swapped out the stock trigger rebound spring and hammer mainspring with a set of reduced weight Wolfe springs.

You asked about problems... the 585 & 686 L-Frames for the first couple of years were the subject of a recall to have a modification done at the factory. There was a situation where a certain brand of .357 ammo with the lighter bullet loading (125 or 147 gr don't remember which) would experience primer flow, where it would deform and flow back into the firing pin hole in the frame bushing and bind the cylinder so it would not rotate.

Swing open the cylinder and look at the frame cut out where the model number is stamped. If there is a Mod 586 with no suffix number or 586-1, look for an 'M' stamp. If it is there, then the gun has been back to the factory for the recall, where the firing pin and firing pin bushing were replaced. Otherwise, you may want to give S&W a call. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since the date of the recall, and the chances of encountering the same ammo that caused the problem back then is probably rare.

I have a 686 no dash with the "mod" and a 586 no dash without it, and both have functioned flawlessly.

That was the only known "major" problem with the 585/686 I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. There is no m mark in her but i am not to worried as i run mainly reload 38's and light ones at that. I am glad to hear that i got a good deal i was a little afriad that it might have been a uneven trade in my end but i am more then happy now. It is funny how the wheel-gun bug bites i am up to three of em now and looking for a fourth...lol

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
1911PRO... Oh, you're doomed, doomed I tell you, just like the rest of us... That's how it's starts, first one, then two, three, six, ten, twenty and before you know it, you'll have them stashed in various places trying to hide your addiction from loved ones :!: .

Save yourself now man!!! Box up what you have and send them my way before the addiction is too strong to break... I'm too far gone to be helped, so a few more S&W wheelguns won't damage me any further, I'm willing to take the hit for you.... :D

I can think of worse things for you to get hooked on... good hunting!!

What else have you acquired besides the 586?

·
Registered
273 Posts
On the Internet the most information you are going to find for the 586/686 Smiths is at Brian Enos.com This is the site most action shooters use. IDPA USPSA ICORE etc. Search the board on Revolvers.

The 586/686 series is probably the optimal revolver for IDPA Stock Service revolver class, if the barrel is 4 inches which is max under the rules. You can have a lot of fun shooting it just adding a holster and some speed loaders. Lots of the other matches use them too with equipment rules a bit different. That series is often extensivly modified, cylinders cut for moon clips, exotic sights, grips etc.

I just passed up a 586 at 525. It was a good deal but out of state added 75 bucks to my landed price. 600 will buy a 686 in state around here.

Boats

1 - 9 of 9 Posts