Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were out at the tail end of December but then it started snowing. Well it’s gone, at least for now and today was a sunny 43 degrees. Curt brought his model 66, model 19 and model 67. I brought my 638, 686 and my SR22.
Revolver Blue Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Here is the range set-up in the shale pit for today, with 6 steel plates and 2 target stands.
Slope Travel Bedrock Formation Landscape

We started with some plinking to brush the rust off. Here is Curt shooting his model 19......
Sky Plant community Plant Tree Bedrock

...and me with the 686 at 35 yards.
Plant community Leaf Sun hat Vegetation People in nature

After the warmup it was time for a drill. This one uses 3 shapes and 3 colors. In this picture, I am the shooter. Curt yells, “Threat” which is the signal to draw, while I am doing that, he will call a color or a shape. Either way there are 2 targets which each get 2 shots. We started out not doing so well but were doing much better when finished

Plant Natural environment Outdoor recreation Biome Recreation

Here is one of Curt shooting my 686 that used to be his 686
Sky Plant People in nature Biome Sports equipment

Shooting my 638 while Curt lines up his hat in the picture
Plant Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle Sky

Curt in action with I believe his 66
People in nature Slope Tree Natural landscape Sky

Me shooting the SR22. I had not shot this in a few years. Usually my wife shoots it.
Plant Branch Tree Natural landscape Grass

Had a good time, burned through about 400 rounds of ammo and were able to lose our jackets before done. All in all a great day.
We had almost 11 weeks of not shooting due to cold temps and deep snow, which my be a record for us. We aren’t afraid to get out there on a 28 degree day to shoot and have done it many times but 16 to 20 inches of snow on the unplowed logging road made access to the shale pit almost impossible. Hope to be out again in a couple weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, that's a long time since your last outing! I've said it before, you have a very nice setup.
That is the one downside to our spot. The road in to the shale pit is only about a quarter mile, but the first 200 yards is in thick Hemlocks in a hollow, which meant there was still a fair amount of snow and ice, then it goes uphill for another couple hundred yards, but that section gets a lot of sun. This year the snow just kept piling up instead of the usual, get some then it half melts. Once hunting season is over they close the gate so there is no traffic to wear a path through the snow

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

You & Curt sure know how to have a grand time!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
pretty day mate

thewelshm

·
Administrator
8,502 Posts
It looks like you had a great time!
I guess I take my range time for granted. I shoot at a friend's private range on his property with a wooden floor and metal covered roof so we can shoot all year round if need be. I get out there usually at least weekly. Been going there for 10 years now...

·
Registered
21,533 Posts
Looks like a very rewarding time in good weather. Much too long of a break but sounds like the shooting was very rewarding. Thanks as always look forward to these reports.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts