Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi To All!
I am a semi-retired, self-underemployed Architect. Not very much computer/internet savvy but forced to start trying for releasing all the tech staff. LOng time user and collector of S&W firearms. After many decades of searching for a very accurate semi-auto .22LR pistol affordable substitute for the SW 41 (that I lusted for)- I finally found one that I could afford!

BUT... while its appearance is excellent - the slide cannot be opened! I bought it anyway figuring that I could fix it. Over the years I have tinkered with, modified, refinished, repaired, rebuilt, etc., many types of firearms but never one of this quality/value. I am in fear of scratching or otherwise damaging it without some experienced input.

S & W Model 41 5.5" bbl Serial No. 92XXX

Any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. T-Rigger

·
Premium Member
12,733 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A model 41 with a slide that's locked closed? Hopefully no round in the chamber.

That pistol is a direct blowback design with an unlocked breech. There's no lock that would interfere with slide operation that I'm aware of, except perhaps the safety and slide release.

Are these stuck or will they operate. Note that just the area with side grip serrations pulls back on this gun. Not the sight.

As I'm sure you know, these are precision handguns, and should not be forced unnecessarily. I don't have mine out here to handle, and don't remember details of the mechanism.

Perhaps something is misaligned or has broken in the area of the recoil spring.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Hi T-Rigger,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. welcome01

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hello T-Rigger and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Enjoy!! Good luck with your new purchase!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,714 Posts
Welcome to the friendlies forum on the internet.
We have a couple of gunsmiths here (and a former gunsmith if you like those old crotchity ***** types), and even an armorer or two.

They'll chime in soon, and try to get that pistol back up and running in no time.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts