Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotcha!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Actually, the rumor mill is getting heated up on this. Ruger is notoriously quiet in project developement and able to bring new guns to market before any fanfare. But Mike Venturino just mentioned that he heard this may be coming up....Pg 55 of June Guns Magazine...speaking of the 1911 and different companies manufacturing them...

Quote:
"And I hear Ruger is getting into the act."

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Awesome! Will they take my name now for the repair list? :eek: :lol:

I kid, I kid.

Actually, I found and placed a MKII on layaway this morning. Shooter grade.

·
Registered
656 Posts
THAT'S what we need... another 1911 clone.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,

But just imagine having a 1911 capable of using "Ruger Only" loads :mrgreen:

Prolly gonna need a 30lb recoil spring ;)

giz

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not a Bottom Feeder Junky like some, I have a Ruger KP345 and a Ruger SR9 both are double action. what I dont understand is the following a single action Bottom Feeder has. Will somebody enlighten me please!!!!

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,

Personally I'm a fan of the DA/SA guns. I even carry a DA only. So I'm not much help here. But there is a school of thought that a Cocked & Locked 1911 will get into play faster, should the need ever arrive. It takes training, and practice discipline to gain confidence in that type of carry. Jeff Cooper and many others were proponents of this discipline. Some of them espoused that a DA/SA is a engineering solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Later thinking focuses on the DA/SA as being a better gun to have, in a after action report. It eliminates the accidental discharge and hair trigger prosecutions. This helps lessen the odds of a prosecutor who knows he can't get a murder conviction....attempting to try you on manslaughter charges.

It is the subject of much debate.

Another topic surrounds the issue of striker fired vs. hammer fired...and I'll let someone else address that one ;)

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Giz,
Colt 1911 Cocked and Locked is what I carried for years and shot IPSC.Tried the DA/SA and never liked them exept for the S&W 645 - 4506, but the safety was in the wrong place :lol: .

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This just in...

The newly rumored 1911 Ruger is going to be in .454 Casull instead of .45ACP. Evidently the engineers figured it was time to develope a 1911 format that was good for Bear Country. Internet forums have demanded such a loading in a Semi platform.

Another innovation anounced will be the replacement of the standard single stack mag with a newly improved Ruger Double-Stack rotary mag...

giz

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Knowing Ruger I'll bet it has one of those Cheesy external extractors!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
With all of the 1911 clones being made by different companies, this sorta says to me there
must be a market for the same. I like the 1911 and have a few and know it has quite a following.
The question is - if the 1911 is so popular, why did Colt close it's doors?
I haven't mentioned that Colt also produced the AR-15/M-16 - and then the
Colt Single Action Army, which has quite a following in the SASS. Of course the
prices on Pythons and Diamondbacks keep spiraling upwards, I guess there
is no need to mention New Service revolvers

. . .My guess is management but will someone enlighten me?

Hank

P.S. Not to worry about extractors, the Ruger ammunition will be caseless.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Ruger has that charger thing out that is just a cut down 10-22. They could bring back the 44 magnum in that form as the 44 mag charger.I bet if they make a 1911 it will weigh as much as a desert eagle 50.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dan M said:
what I dont understand is the following a single action Bottom Feeder has. Will somebody enlighten me please!!!!
Dan
Ever notice how your group size with your revolvers is smaller in single action mode than in double action ?

Well, there ya go... :roll:
Consider yourself enlightened. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Gizamo said:
Dan,

Personally I'm a fan of the DA/SA guns. I even carry a DA only. So I'm not much help here. But there is a school of thought that a Cocked & Locked 1911 will get into play faster, should the need ever arrive. It takes training, and practice discipline to gain confidence in that type of carry. Jeff Cooper and many others were proponents of this discipline. Some of them espoused that a DA/SA is a engineering solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Later thinking focuses on the DA/SA as being a better gun to have, in a after action report. It eliminates the accidental discharge and hair trigger prosecutions. This helps lessen the odds of a prosecutor who knows he can't get a murder conviction....attempting to try you on manslaughter charges.

It is the subject of much debate.

Another topic surrounds the issue of striker fired vs. hammer fired...and I'll let someone else address that one ;)

giz

Giz, if that's so explain all the ND/ADs the Police depts are reporting with both Glocks(Striker-fired) and S&W SA/DAs? The Cincinnati Police use S&Ws and they had over fifty NDs last year.

Truthfully Giz, I'm beginning to think it's a training problem. They just can't seem to keep their booger-hooks off the bang-switch! I've been shooting and carrying 1911s most of my adult life( I"m 59) and have never had a ND/AD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Training is the KEY!!! With 20 + years in the military and another 14 years in law enforcement ( all with a 1911), I can truthfully say that the 2 ADs in my life were BOTH with a SA/DA. It depends on what you are accustom to and your ability to keep your finger of the cancel button.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone else is making a better new 1911 than Colt, so why not Ruger? :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
With all due disrespect smoking iron, nobody makes a better 1911 than colt. And may I ad that this opinion is completely unbiased. nfiofnp

1 - 20 of 47 Posts