Smith And Wesson Forums banner

First day out with the Model 28 !!

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Boriqua 
#1 · (Edited)
Oh my ... I dont know if the gun was ever fired. If it has it was very little because it shows no signs. Having said that ... I had just picked this guy up from a buddy in what appears to be near mint condition.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

I loved its looks but I will admit I was a bit nervous. While I have owned a couple of used guns the great majority of my guns have been store bought fresh with WARRANTY!

but this damn guy spoke to me hard so I set aside my concerns and today was pop my cherry day.

WOW WOW WOW

I brought 50 rds of my 38's which are 158gr coated lSWC over 4.5 gr of hp38. I brought 20 rounds of my 357 which was just the same bullet but in a 357 case loaded with 6.9gr of hp38 and I wanted something a bit more test worthy so I brough 20 rounds of Remington 158 gr HTP soft points. Those rounds have a bit of pizzazz.

The trigger pull is a touch rough but there is no hitch of any kind and its a smooth pull straight through. Really a wonderful trigger that should get even better.

Here are the first 6 rounds I shot ever at a short 8 yards DA, unsupported. The flyer was my first .. but I think I was a bit excited!!

Target archery Recreation Circle Archery Precision sports

Wooo Hoo.

It just kept getting better as I aclimated myself to the gun and at one point I had the target at about 10 yds and let off a string right into the head of a silhouette with little effort and little time between shots. Guy in lane next to me pops out because of the noise and said .."I think he is dead" :)

Usually my 4.5gr 38's have a little snap .. not so in this gun. They feel like a pop gun. I genuinely would have believed I under loaded them all but I know its not the case. Wow were they soft.

Even the rather warm HTp rounds were a non issue. The gun just absorbs it and I noticed the gun doesnt get over heated like my 686 did. I kept taking breaks to check if the barrel or cylinder was getting hot but I am pretty sure I could have shot another 200 rds and it would have been fine.

I shot the silhouette out to a little past 15 yds and shooting fairly fast and kept them all in the interior red rectangle which is a little larger than my fist

At the very end and after almost 100 rounds I decided to put up a bullsye target to see how I would fair. I find if a gun is beating me up I am good at the begining and suck by the end.

This is at 10 yds
Recreation Target archery Sport venue Shooting sport Archery

The gun ... well .. the gun is just bad A$$. I started out a bit nervous but I think I have a new love!! Its a beauty but I plan to shoot it and carry it. What a damn bargain at $650 when compared to many other guns I have paid the same money for!!

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Mine reads N211XXX ... I think someone said .. 70's vintage??

Whatever it is ... its FUN! I just coated it all with clp and buffed it with a tee shirt. Looks awesome and now with a little lubricant in the interior it is even sweeter than my outing today. Cant wait to get back out!!

#12 ·
Many moons ago, Sketter Skelton said he thought he could shoot an N frame better than other .357 revolver in double action because when you got that big cylinder moving, it just wanted to keep going. I am certainly not going to disagree. He also "forced" me into my first Smith - a 5" 27. I am sure you will enjoy that new looking 28 for a long time. Good pick up.

#14 · (Edited)
Yep....................

I have N Frames in several calibers in multi barrel lengths.......I can bear out with my own testimony that Skeeters words ring true. Although the 5" barrel was supposedly Skeeters favorite, this is where my opinion differs because i favor the is the 3 1/2" barrel length for an N Frame .357 .......Due mostly because I can get it to clear leather and be on target at battery faster than the other barrel length N Frames.......and at close range, I can hit with the 3 1/2" about as well as with longer tubes (where the majority of handgun conflicts occur).........and then the second part of the story comes into play.........Firing it. Indeed smaller frame short barreled revolvers can be fast to present, but they just don't have the same rapid fire attributes that has made the .357 N Frame a favorite for so many shooters.

Dang......maybe I should revisit that other message string about our favorite guns and edit my favorite to a 3 1/2" N Frame .357...........chuckle

#13 ·
Congrats mate ...made for work that one is..

thewelshm

#18 · (Edited)
Another sign this bad boy has seen little to no use... The trigger serrations .. which is a first for me .. are so sharp I woke up this morning with a nice size blister on my trigger finger. I mean .. I sew leather by hand so my finger tips are pretty tough!!

The hammer feels like a new grater the texturing is so sharp and coarse. LOVE IT!!

#20 ·
Great guns. Normally I like 4" barrels, but this Model 28-2 ("S" prefix) with the 6" barrel, just feels right.

Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

It came to me with a set of Pachmayr's, which aren't a bad choice on them really. After all they are work guns, but I had the Altamont "Cokes" in a junk drawer. They don't look too bad I don't guess. I need to shoot it some more.

#21 ·
Great guns. Normally I like 4" barrels, but this Model 28-2 ("S" prefix) with the 6" barrel,

It came to me with a set of Pachmayr's, which aren't a bad choice on them really. After all they are work guns, but I had the Altamont "Cokes" in a junk drawer. They don't look too bad I don't guess. I need to shoot it some more.
I think those grips look AWESOME on that gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.