Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I waited patiently to get out to the range today to try out the 642 I picked up last Tuesday. Whew it was a long wait.

I really didn't know what to expect but I did wonder whether the light weight was going to make it not fun to shoot.

I loaded up some 158Gr SWC with 3.5 gr of hp38, Some with 4.0 gr of hp38, I had a ton I loaded previously at 4.5 gr of hp38 and I made some with 3.5 gr of Titegroup. in addition I brought 5 rounds of the Federal HST micro +p

I had been dry firing some 20 or so times each evening since I got it and really liked the trigger. While its a touch heavy its smooth all the way through and my sights werent budging so I felt pretty good going in ... except I didnt know what recoil would feel like. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and like blasters but snappy little guns can be more annoying than fun.

Well .. the 642 was amazingly fun!!

I didnt know how far out to shoot having never owned anything this itty bitty so I settled on 7 yds. Here were my very first 5 shots at 7 yds.

642target.jpg

Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high. The hp38 with the coated 158 gr makes a big POOF of smoke so after I let off one round it can act as a cloaking device hiding me from assailants!! :)

I shot more of the 3.5 HP38 and continued to place them a a touch high. Dont know if it was me getting used to the sight position or ?? I moved it out to 10 yds and they went a bit higher. All though in the strike zone on a silhouette with ease.

I tried the titegroup but didnt care for it as much. It smoked less but it felt snappy instead of thumpy so I let the wife shot the rest of that batch from her gp100.

I moved up to the 4 gr of hp38 and still no surprises. I fired rapid fire and the gun doesnt hurt and recoil I thought was still very mild. I then went with the Fed HST .. sweet little round with a nice report, no smoke and lo and behold .. to exact point of aim. Either i was just getting a better handle or the gun just liked the bullets a bit faster.

Just because I had to see .. I loaded up 2 of the rounds I made with 4.5 gr of hp38 ... still absolutly easy to control and recoil was easily manageable. I didnt want to beat up the little guy so I only sent 2 rounds of that down range to see how it handled the recoil.

What a neat little gun!! LOVE IT.

I ordered up some underwood 158gr LSWCHP standard pressure and I have a feeling me and this little gun are going to spend a lot of time together! All in all about 100 rds down range today and it was a blast!

Did a bunch of rounds through my 686 .. Man the trigger has smoothed out wonderfully and I was killing it all the way out to 25 yds. Great range day!

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high.
Seriously? I wouldn't be too concerned

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
Great range report! Glad you like the newly acquired 642, and you will get better with it, just like getting used to shoot anything else. Thanks for the report.:)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I fired 5 more at the "9" and they went through the same hole above .. cept I was still aiming for the "9" :)

couple more visits for me to get good and used to it but .. really much more fun than I had anticipated. Highly recommend this gun. I even like the little rubber grips! I may have to find a steel J frame as a range toy .. its too fun.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Boriqua-I had a similar experience with my 642. It’s the only “ lock “ gun I have. I was concerned the trigger would be stiff. Recoil would be tough to handle,etc. It turned out to be a real pleasure and my go-to when I want a second gun or just a pocket gun. Excellent weapon!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about that 642 at all. For social work, that’s still going to hit where it matters.

I have a no lock 642 that is a constant companion, with an Apex Duty kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously? I wouldn't be too concerned
Oh I hope it didnt come off like i was complaining about the gun. I had heard and read so much about "its not a target gun" "its a belly gun" "its only for bad breath distance" etc. So i expected a shotgun pattern. I was overwhelmingly pleased with how tight it shot. May not be a target gun but I can take an eye out at 7-10 yds. Damn fine little gun that exceeded expectations. Not much anymore even meets expectations

·
Registered
111 Posts
congrats - that's amazingly remarkable group shooting @ 7yds with a snubby and a substantial hand load.

... The hp38 with the coated 158 gr makes a big POOF of smoke so after I let off one round it can act as a cloaking device hiding me from assailants!! ...
interesting. what coating was on those bullets? i use .38spl hi-tec polymer coated bullets from precision or acme in my w231 hand loads for my 642c and they produce almost no smoke as compared to lubed lead. hp38 is w231, so we're in the same ballpark, powder wise.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
congrats - that's amazingly remarkable group shooting @ 7yds with a snubby and a substantial hand load.

interesting. what coating was on those bullets? i use .38spl hi-tec polymer coated bullets from precision or acme in my w231 hand loads for my 642c and they produce almost no smoke as compared to lubed lead. hp38 is w231, so we're in the same ballpark, powder wise.
You know .. I am going to have to see what happens next time out. I have been using DG Bullets for at least the last 6 months and have fired over 800 rds with 4.5 gr of hp38 and those same bullets through my Gp100 and 686 and don't remember it being so smokey.

Now this is a new batch of bullets I just received but .. I didnt clean the gun before taking it to the range. I wonder now if it wasnt packing grease or some other protectant that was making it smokey??

I did a thorough cleaning of the gun today and I will report back after my next outing.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice shooting!

642 takes a nice pic too...
OOOoooooo That is a nice pic!! and that is also a cool knife. My first ever "real" pocket knife was an old timer with delrin scales I bought when I was about 16. I havent been able to stop handling the little gun. Cant wait to get it back out again.

My next range trip was going to be 10mm Practice day but ... It might be another revolver outing. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high.
I shot more of the 3.5 HP38 and continued to place them a a touch high. Dont know if it was me getting used to the sight position or ?? I moved it out to 10 yds and they went a bit higher. All though in the strike zone on a silhouette with ease.

I moved up to the 4 gr of hp38 and still no surprises. I fired rapid fire and the gun doesnt hurt and recoil I thought was still very mild. I then went with the Fed HST .. sweet little round with a nice report, no smoke and lo and behold .. to exact point of aim. Either i was just getting a better handle or the gun just liked the bullets a bit faster.

No surprise with that result as there are "funny physics " involved.
Lighter bullets strike lower than heavier ones.
Faster bullets strike lower than slower ones.
So , a light loaded 158 grainer hits higher than a heavier loaded 125 gr.

Good shooting for the first smoke test . As stated these little guns , while capable of fine accuracy are not target guns. All you need is minute of crackhead accuracy during instinctive fast fire.
Now you just gotta dial in the load .fnovnpoafnovnpoafnovnpoa

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I waited patiently to get out to the range today to try out the 642 I picked up last Tuesday. Whew it was a long wait.

I really didn't know what to expect but I did wonder whether the light weight was going to make it not fun to shoot.

I loaded up some 158Gr SWC with 3.5 gr of hp38, Some with 4.0 gr of hp38, I had a ton I loaded previously at 4.5 gr of hp38 and I made some with 3.5 gr of Titegroup. in addition I brought 5 rounds of the Federal HST micro +p

I had been dry firing some 20 or so times each evening since I got it and really liked the trigger. While its a touch heavy its smooth all the way through and my sights werent budging so I felt pretty good going in ... except I didnt know what recoil would feel like. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and like blasters but snappy little guns can be more annoying than fun.

Well .. the 642 was amazingly fun!!

I didnt know how far out to shoot having never owned anything this itty bitty so I settled on 7 yds. Here were my very first 5 shots at 7 yds.

View attachment 424229

Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high. The hp38 with the coated 158 gr makes a big POOF of smoke so after I let off one round it can act as a cloaking device hiding me from assailants!! :)

I tried the titegroup but didnt care for it as much. It smoked less but it felt snappy instead of thumpy so I let the wife shot the rest of that batch from her gp100.

Just because I had to see .. I loaded up 2 of the rounds I made with 4.5 gr of hp38 ... still absolutly easy to control and recoil was easily manageable. I didnt want to beat up the little guy so I only sent 2 rounds of that down range to see how it handled the recoil.

What a neat little gun!! LOVE IT.

I ordered up some underwood 158gr LSWCHP standard pressure and I have a feeling me and this little gun are going to spend a lot of time together! All in all about 100 rds down range today and it was a blast!

Did a bunch of rounds through my 686 .. Man the trigger has smoothed out wonderfully and I was killing it all the way out to 25 yds. Great range day!
You did great, your well on your way, keep up the good work. Most 38 Special revolvers are sighted for the 158 gr LSWC loads. If you were aiming for the 9 in the center and it printed higher, just a little lower under the 9. Point of aim and point of impact

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you for reminding me I've got some HP-38 buried in my reloading cabinet. Need to get it out and load up some rounds. Was going to shoot today as it's supposed to be the last nice day for about a week. Was planning on shooting some .45 ACP but now I'll think to use my 442 as well, since it's been awhile since I've shot it. Thanks again for jogging my memory. Starting to get old timers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts