Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound apocryphal to most here but today I became the owner of my very first centerfire single action pistol. I used to have this old Herters single action 22 that I had fun with for a few years. Worked well but the barrel must have been shot out as from a rest is was good for shotgun groups only.

I bought this plain Jane Ruger Blackhawk today. 41 Magnum! :cool: Odd caliber, I know, for a first time single action, but I couldn't help myself. All the talk here and other places about the accuracy of the 41 mag has me itching to handload for it. Ordered it on a handshake, no money down, from my local shop. It came in earlier this week and I picked it up today. Traded in an old Turkish Mauser rifle and remainder cash. I opted for the shorter barrel for a few reasons. First, I intend to carry this gun in the woods, sometimes under garments. Second, I do not anticipate needing any long range shots as I don't hunt large game. Last, well, I just like the looks of it.

I have this weird idea in my head that this gun will never see a factory load. The only problem is that I don't have anything to shoot in it yet and it is calling to me like the sirens calling to the Argonauts. I am waiting on a backordered set of dies from Cabelas, due around the 20th and a pending order of TVB bullets. It is going to be a hard couple of weeks.

The only negative thought I have about the gun is those black plastic/rubber (I am not even sure what they are) grips they come with. I will have to keep my eyes out for a pair of wood factory grips. Nothing fancy, just need to support the wood industry, ya know.

I have pretty much told myself that this will have to be it for me this year. I will have to be happy with what I have in the way of shooters and concentrate on reloading. Business is getting tight and I may have to take some salary or benefit deferrals before things come out of it. We'll see but either way I have to ere on the side of caution for a while.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Very nice! Its too bad I didn't know you wanted one of these a few weeks ago...I have a NIB one of these from the 1980s with wood grips that I am trying to sell right now on GB for $365. #-o

And, I have a spare set of 41 dies (Lyman brand) that I woulda sold ya cheap! :ymparty:

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you tell me! You'll have to brush up on your mind reading. I'll do the same. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Forester,
Congratulations on that beautiful new .41 BHK.
As regards the black grips, I have a very high opinion of them, both for appearance and utility.
If you want to 'split the difference', Ruger offers a beautiful 'bonded' ivory that's kind of chunky, fits the gun like a glove, and is a tad thicker than the blacks.
Has the black eagle medallions, and would look stunning on that new gun.
As I recall, they're about $ 65 from Ruger.
Backordered reloading supplies?
So what else is new?! :lol:
I'm practically comatose trying to find plain old .38 special 148gr. wadcutters for my old target guns.
Of all the factory ammo I thought would never be 'out of stock', that was it.
Enjoy your new c.f. .41.
Don

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well yeah!

I could get used to looking at that one lying on the loading bench while I concocted some .41 Magnum ammo. That barrel length is practical for filling a holster and trekking off into the country.

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Forester,
Congrats on your purchase! I bet you're really going to enjoy loading and shooting 41 mags..

As everyone says, they're very accurate! It's a great round to reload.

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I posted this on several forums and all the feedback has been good. That makes me feel like I did the right thing. Also, people are concurring with DHenry regarding the grips. I guess I am wrong to judge them before I even fire the gun. :oops:

In addition to loading for it, I am really looking forward to carrying it in the woods with me while at work. I am just waiting for Giz to welcome me in to the SA Ruger fold. :ymhug:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Forester, He may not since you didn't post a pic of it sitting on some rocks or snow. You know how he just loves to throw his guns on the ground and then take a pic of it. :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
OK Forester, you asked for it..... ;)

Welcome to the world of Single Action Rugers! But here is the Caveat!

Next time I'm riding through your part of New Hampshire I'll be able to recognize you instantly. You'll be the guy standing at the intersection. Unshaven, old tattered cloths, and holding the "Will work for some more Rugers sign".... :mrgreen:

Now after your done fixin' up a load for your first real sixgun, ya' hasta buy a knife and a proper woods rig to go with it....Not to mention a lever gun in .41 :eek:

A real Man has to accessorize, ya' know!!!

giz

·
Registered
10 Posts
forester; You will love the Ruger, and the 41 Mag. A fella I know on another forum has a few guns in 41 Mag and says that the cartridge is an excellent performer.......and, that short barrel will do everything you want it to do within "handgun" distances...out to 50 yards or so. Another fella I know has a 41 Mag Ruger custom with a Birds Head grip frame and 4" barrel....and he spoke so highly of that set up, that I am now customizing my 44 Mag Ruger New Model 5 1/2" to a Birds Head, with cocobolo grips, and shortening the barrel to 4"....like your way of thinking, this should be a perfect carry rig for the outback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts