Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have no experience with stainless guns but was wondering if the gun says Satin Stainless vs just Stainless, I've seen two 686 listed that way. It's hard to tell difference via the pictures on the website. What is the difference? Maybe someone has good pictures of different stainless finishes I could see.

Also is the any difference in cleaning with stainless vs blued?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
There is nothing on the gun to indicate the level of polish. It would likely be in the Product Code or on the label on the box. Holding the gun, it is pretty easy to see if it has a satin, brushed or polished finish. You clean them all the same way. Mother's Mag, Flitz or other metal polish can also be used.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
12,712 Posts
If you're careful about the level of polish you apply, you can clean the face of a stainless revolver cylinder (where rings of firing debris accumulate) with a polish. I would never do this to a blued gun.

I use a German polish called "Simichrome" - but if you do it too harshly, you can raise a high polish finish where you may not want one.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is nothing on the gun to indicate the level of polish. It would likely be in the Product Code or on the label on the box. Holding the gun, it is pretty easy to see if it has a satin, brushed or polished finish. You clean them all the same way. Mother's Mag, Flitz or other metal polish can also be used.
Thanks Guy. Sounds like there's no finish better than another, more like personal taste if I'm understanding it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're careful about the level of polish you apply, you can clean the face of a stainless revolver cylinder (where rings of firing debris accumulate) with a polish. I would never do this to a blued gun.

I use a German polish called "Simichrome" - but if you do it too harshly, you can raise a high polish finish where you may not want one.
Not sure if I'm going with stainless, still just looking, but good to know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The satin finish will never look like a mirror but you can polish the regular stainless and get it to look damn near like nickel. A little Flitz and Mothers Mag Polish and a little time and attention to detail. And I don't recommend a dremel or any fancy tools, a couple rags is all I use.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Dremel + Flitz brought my scratched up 66-4 back to shiny goodness

Hey D,

Where is the rest of the barrel?

You got ripped off....only give ya half a barrel....

Better send that here.........jes fer SafeKeepin' an all... :LOL:

That turned out really, really good!

Later, Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts