Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Finally - Model 10-5

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  CH47gunner 
#1 ·
I've been looking for one for quite some time and finally found a really nice one in Sacramento. I made the trip on the 11th (PPT) and pick it up on the 21st.
This is the same model S&W I carried as an Army helicopter crewmember, this one was shipped in 1966/67 so it is also the correct time period.
Here's the pic used for the sale, I'll take a couple more when I pick up the gun.

Bruce

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations. Looks nice. I hate to tell you but a 1966-67 revolver would have the diamond stocks. You'll need to scare up a set to make it look like the one you had.

And how come you didn't steal that one and bring it home? My dad brought back his 1911 from WW II.

#4 ·
Thanks all,

Slim pickens here in California. Gotta be patient, I traveled 150 miles (one way) for this one.

but a 1966-67 revolver would have the diamond stocks
Oh well - One of these day I'll buy some thing that doesn't turn out to be a project. :) K frames shouldn't be too hard to find.

how come you didn't steal that one and bring it home?
The "powers that be" went thru everything looking for drugs, guns, & explosives. I was coming home - nothing was worth the risk to screw that up!

Bruce

#5 ·
SP, Fortunately, all of us, who love S&W revolvers, are NOT collecters! Some of us are shooters. :roll: Having the time period correct grips is not a priority. Having a revolver that is comfortable to shoot, demands that we get after-market grips. (Yes.....even RUBBER Combat Grips!!!! :eek: )

It even doesn't bother us to shoot a Roo-Roo-Roogar!!! :lol: Bob

#6 ·
Nice find, I'm sorry you had to drive so far to fill out paperwork and then drive back to pick it up. I would have a problem with that. Congrats though, I wish I could find one that nice. James

#7 ·
Finally got a chance to take a couple of pics of the Model 10-5 I picked up.
I'm excited about this one even if I had to drive 166 miles, each way, to get her. I at least got another chance to see the moth-ball fleet, in the SF Bay.
And yes SP, the grips are numbered to the gun.

Bruce

#9 ·
I saw one similar to that at the last two gunshows. It was a Model 15 stamped U.S.A.F. going for $750. I could have had it for $700. It just sat there and will probably still be there at the next gun show. It had a considerable amount of holster wear, but the timing & lock up was near perfect. Eh, maybe, if I get real desperate, I'll see about bringing it home, but not at $700.

Now you need a period correct shoulder holster to go with your new Model 10. I see them frequently at the shows here. One gentleman in particular usually has two or three displayed and a couple more stashed under the table.

#11 ·
CH47gunner said:
And yes SP, the grips are numbered to the gun.
Bruce, it was good of you not to add, "Na na a boo boo!"

But seriously, in SaxonPig's defense (not that he needs any from the likes of me), the SCofSW says of the Model 10: "1968: Delete ddiamond grips." (Yes, it has the "dd" in diamond.)

Bruce, what's the serial number of your 10-5? I have one with SN D154xx, which is pretty definitely 1968 manufacture. If yours has a C prefix and the grips are numbered to the gun, then apparently S&W began using the diamondless grips a bit earlier than 1968.

#12 ·
mjr -

SN is C9305XX on this one. Grips are stamped 9305XX.

See no point in nya nyaing anyone, especially when it comes to firearms. I've made more mistakes than most & everyone's input is valuable. I've also seen many of SaxonPig's posts, here & on a couple other forums, I respect his knowledge & info.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.