Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Finally Broke Down

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  45acp230 
#1 ·
Well, I finally broke down and bought a 1911 -- I haven't fired one since the Army 47 years ago, but the desire has been steadily growing. I'll be picking up my new Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander (in .45, of course) tomorrow. The 2 Wilson 47 7 round mags and the Milt Sparks Summer Special II holster are on the way in another delivery Friday. Here we go -- :D

#4 ·
No, I've been talking to 1911 friends, researching online, etc. The general consensus is that the Wilson 7 round mags w/ the synthetic follower are : 1) More reliable than the 8 round mags that come with the Colt which tend to have problems occasionally with the last round, and 2) the follower isn't made of metal and doesn't gouge or mar the LW Commander's feed ramp. I'm taking their advice -- figure it can't hurt.

#5 ·
IIRC, Mec-Gar makes the Wilson (and just about everyone else's) magazines

#11 ·
I've been starting to get the 1911 bug too. Question is should I buy an old one like an Ithaca that I saw or one of the new ones like a Springfield?

#13 ·
Yes.

Then buy several others to be sure your decision was the right one. That's what I did, and I'm still "undecided", need more "evidence".

#12 ·
I would suggest if want full experience, get the older one with the almost non existent sights that is point to shoot. Then get a newer one, with target sights and then can experience best of both. I am doing my enabler part. The new Auto Ordnance U.S 1911A1 is a very exact copy of the original. It was 500 OTD about 5 years ago and looking prices have not gone up. True 1911.
Just an option to the old one.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

#16 ·
Good choices. Congratulations on your new M1911a1 commander as well as the Milt Sparks holster. They are excellent. I also have the Wilson magazines, among others that are well made.

Take the time to work in your Colt a few hundred rounds. The more you shoot it, the more you'll understand why the design is so iconic. Browning knew a thing or two...

For your next one (and there will be a next one) take a good look at what Dan Wesson is offering. They are the closest thing to custom fitted pistols available at production pistol prices...

Reactions: Philo and Leo918
#19 ·
Finally got my WC Commander out to the range today. I put 100 rounds of 230 gr. ball and 50 rounds of WWB 230 gr. HP through it without a hiccup. No problems at all. It shoots nice tight groups -- just 2 inches low and left. Just like my Shield. Heheh. Something tells me it isn't the guns' fault.... :cool:
Seriously, I really like the Colt. Seems like less recoil than my 9mm. Very smooth trigger, and will only get better. So will I, hopefully!

#20 ·
Put another 100 rounds through the WC Commander today. I'm at around 350 rounds so far. Still no malfunctions at all. I think it's a keeper.

My first 7 rounds at 20 yards -- about a second or less between shots, so not slow fire, but not mag dumping. Second shot was a stray, then got a little better.
The red bull is 1", first black ring is 2" circle. I'm committed to improving.

#21 ·
Congratulations, and welcome to the 1911 addiction.

My favorite magazines are from Chip McCormick. I've owned at least 6 or 8 of them over time, and they have never failed me yet.
To disclose everything, I sold or traded off all of my 1911's in the past 3 years, but my AR collection keeps getting bigger all the time.
You shouldn't have any regrets with the pistols you've acquired, and the Wilson mags should serve you as long as you keep 1911's in your collection.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: Curt360 and Philo
#24 ·
A few months later, moving to different distances 7, 10, 15 yards, drawing and firing quickly. Most are within 4" -- guess that'll have to do for SD purposes (not slow fire) for now.
Shooting sport Shooting Games Recreation

#27 ·
I have two Colts- a Combat Commander ( steel frame) and a Compact ( Officers model without the shine). I carried the Commander every day for 20 yrs or so. Shot it enough to eventually break the ears off of the barrel bushing. Used Wilson magazines for the entire time in both pieces. Utterly reliable. Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.