Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 130 might be a little quicker in the velocity department. The 158 would have more mass, for a little deeper penetration. I also carry in the woods for protection, so I would choose the heavier bullet (158). Bob

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
For self defense I personally prefer the 158 gr. in .38/.357's.

But...will stick to my standard response for this question...

"Carry what you shoot the best in your gun."

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, You can't depend on everybody else to make all your decisions for you. :roll: Bob

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
Bob,
I think that's why gun forums exist in the first place, isn't it? To exchange information and opinions and ask questions?

·
Registered
753 Posts
How about a 38 +p 129gn Hydra shok? :D Sorry, I had to add more confusion didn't I!

The lighter the bullet the faster it will go. So to maintain velocity (if you desire this) then choose a lighter bullet. Moon likes the old police load, which he is accustomed too.
There is no wrong answer. A bullet will only work if placed on target at the right spot. A 500 mag miss won't save you, but a 22 in his eye will stop the fight...

Remember, a 357 is going to ring your ears big time.

Anybody's got popcorn :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Either one should work great. .357 is a potent caliber with either weight. I agree with the advice to load what you shoot best and practice. I have heard of anybody, criminals included, that wanted to get shot with any bullet. ;)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yeah, but the 45 is better..................... :lol: :lol:

Just to keep it going and so 500 mag could have more popcorn. ;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My primary is a Gov't model in 45acp but, my 66 snub is loaded with 357 equivelent to the FBI-load, a Speer 158LSWCHP at 950fps. It'll put an eye out!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am with Dave WW only thing arguably better is Lyman's 358421 168 hardcast at 1050 -1100 fps Keith style SWC, penetration. bobw

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep. 158 grain will do the trick. Haven't shot any of the 130 grain, but I have fired a lot of the 125 Federal out of my duty issued model 66 4 " and they were kinda of snappy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts